In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
I’ve written extensively about the Citi Prestige Card, which is one of the hottest cards on the market right now. While the card carries a $450 annual fee, it has so many incredible benefits which more than justify the annual fee, in my opinion. Among other things, these include:
- A sign-up bonus of 40,000 ThankYou Rewards points after spending $3,000 on the card within the first three months — those points can be transferred to one of their airline transfer partners, or redeemed towards revenue flights on any airline
- A $250 annual airline credit (with your first year’s annual fee you actually get two of those — that’s $500 of airline credits with your first year’s $450 annual fee)
- A fourth night free hotel benefit
- The most comprehensive Priority Pass membership offered by any card
- A $100 Global Entry fee credit
But arguably one of the most lucrative benefits of the card is the fourth night free hotel benefit. While I was skeptical of the benefit when I first applied for the card, for me it has proven to be the most valuable benefit of the card. I’ve already used the benefit for four sets of stays in the past two months alone.
For those of you not familiar with the benefit, here are posts I’ve written about it, which explain the rules, process for booking, etc.:
- Citi Prestige Card Fourth Night Free Hotel Benefit Details
- My Experience Using The Citi Prestige Fourth Night Free Benefit
- Is The Citi Prestige Fourth Night Free Hotel Benefit A Gimmick?
- Which Hotels Are Eligible For Citi Prestige 4th Night Free Hotel Benefit?
The way the benefit works is that you actually pay for the entire stay at check-out (or on a pre-paid rate, in advance), and then later receive a statement credit for the cost of the fourth night. That’s a great system, since it means you earn elite qualifying stays/nights/points with the loyalty program for the full amount spent.
A lot of people have asked how long it takes for the hotel credit to post to the Citi Prestige Card. The terms state that statement credits will post within 1-2 billing cycles after check-out.
So what has my experience been so far?
I had two sets of four night stays on June 2 and June 9, 2015. Both hotel night rebate credits posted on July 11, 2015.
While the Citi Prestige Card fourth night free credit is far from instant, it does seem to pretty consistently post within a month or so of the actual stay. So typically it should post before you actually have to pay your credit card bill (though of course that depends on your cutoff date).
The Citi Prestige Card fourth night free benefit really is a huge perk, and for me the single most valuable benefit of this card. Being able to get a fourth night free on the published rate from a hotel is huge, and frankly has sort of changed how I book hotels. I used to often spend three nights at a time in hotels, but with a fourth night free, why not go ahead and extend the stay a bit?
What has been your experience with having the Citi Prestige Card fourth night free benefit post?