In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Update: This offer for the Citi ThankYou® Premier Card is expired. Learn more about the current offer here.
Well, today is the last day of the 2015 Daily Getaways promotion, sponsored by the US Travel Association.
For the past five weeks we’ve had the opportunity to purchase discounted travel packages, from hotel points to car rental points to vacation packages.
Today is officially the last day of the 2015 promotion.
Today at 1PM ET Daily Getaways will be selling Expedia coupons at a discount. This is a new package for 2015, and the first such offering we’ve seen.
Expedia Daily Getaways package
As you can see, for $650 you can purchase a $1,000 Expedia+ rewards hotel coupon and +gold status. There are only 50 packages available, so presumably they’ll sell fast.
Here are the basic terms of the $1,000 Expedia+ rewards hotel coupon:
- Coupons can only be used to book a +VIP Access or Expedia Rate hotel.
- Coupons can only be used once. Any leftover value is void.
- A coupon can only be applied to one hotel room per booking.
- Coupon values don’t apply to taxes or fees.
- Once a coupon is used, it cannot be refunded.
- Coupons can only be used on reservations paid for at time of booking.
So the major consideration here is that the coupon can only be used towards a single stay in a single room, and that you won’t be issued any sort of a residual voucher if your stay costs less than $1,000 before taxes & fees. The good news is that the coupon doesn’t expire.
As far as +gold status goes, it’s valid through February 29, 2016. It’s not as valuable as hotel elite status, but it does still have some perks if you book through Expedia with any frequency. You can find +gold status benefits here. In terms of benefits at the hotel, those are limited to +VIP Access hotels, and include perks like complimentary upgrades upon availability, free wifi, etc.
Which credit card to use?
Keep in mind Daily Getaways purchases are processed by Daily Getaways, which is classified as a a “travel” provider for the purposes of credit card spend. So you’ll want to use one of the following credit cards to maximize your purchase:
- The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card offers double points on all travel purchases, including Daily Getaways
- The Citi ThankYou® Premier Card offers triple points on travel (including travel agencies) — since Daily Getaways seems to be categorized as a “Travel Agency,” it should qualify for triple points
- Presumably you could also reimburse yourself for a Daily Getaways purchase with the Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard®, given that Daily Getaways is categorized as a travel agency
Since I really value hotel points, I almost always avoid booking through one of the big online travel agencies, as you typically don’t earn hotel points and elite qualifying nights/stays on those bookings. That being said, for a 35% discount with no expiration date, I’m almost tempted. But not quite enough. I think I’ll pass.
Do you plan on purchasing an Expedia package through Daily Getaways?