In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
UPDATE: The offer for the Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve Card has changed. You can find the best current offers here.
The Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve Card is offering a publicly available limited time increased sign-up bonus:
- Two free weekend nights at most Hilton family properties after spending $2,500 within four months of account opening
- Plus for a limited time receive a $100 statement credit after spending $100 or more on your first hotel stay in the Hilton HHonors portfolio within the first three months of account opening
The two free weekend nights are the standard sign-up bonus, while the $100 statement credit after your first Hilton stay within three months is an added perk.
The standard sign-up bonus is already incredibly valuable. Hilton devalued their award chart substantially a couple of years ago, whereby top hotels went from 50,000 points per night to up to 95,000 points per night.
So this sign-up bonus can potentially cover two free nights at a property which goes for 95,000 points per night — that’s potentially a 190,000 point value!
Redeem free night certificates for villa at Conrad Koh Samui
Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve Card points earnings structure
The card offers the following rewards on everyday spend:
- 10x points per dollar spent at Hilton properties
- 5x points per dollar spent on airline and car rental purchases
- 3x points per dollar spent on everything else
In and of itself that’s not especially compelling, given that Hilton points aren’t all that valuable. The reasons to spend on this card involve the threshold bonuses they offer, which I’ll cover below.
Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve Card annual fee
The annual fee on the card is $95, which isn’t waived for the first year.
Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve Card foreign transaction fees
The card doesn’t have foreign transaction fees, so is a great option for international travel
Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve Card card perks
Not only does the card offer a lucrative sign-up bonus, but it has some awesome perks as well, which make the card worth keeping long term, in my opinion:
- Hilton HHonors Gold status for as long as you have the card, which gets you complimentary breakfast, lounge access, and internet (which I consider to be the most valuable elite hotel perks)
- A complimentary weekend night certificate for any cardmember year (different than calendar year) in which you spend $10,000 on the card
- Hilton HHonors Diamond status for any year in which you spend $40,000 on the card
Hilton HHonors Gold status is the most valuable easily attainable mid-tier hotel status, in my opinion, so that alone more than justifies the annual fee after just a couple of stays, in my opinion.
View from Conrad Hong Kong
If you have the card, I think it’s well worth it to spend $10,000 on the card for a free night certificate. Assuming you can redeem it for a property that would otherwise go for 95,000 points per night, think of it as getting 12.5 Hilton HHonors points per dollar spent on base spend (factoring in the free night and 3x points per dollar you’d usually earn for non-bonused spend).
As far as Diamond status goes, it definitely can be worth it. $40,000 is very little to spend on a credit card for top tier hotel status. I did this when I first got the card, and to be honest haven’t been blown away by Hilton Diamond status. I find there to be very little difference between Gold and Diamond status. Still, if you frequently stay at Hiltons — and especially frequently stay outside of the US — it can be well worth it.
There are cards that offer great sign-up bonuses and cards that are worth keeping long term. A minority of cards fall into both categories, though I think this one does:
- The sign-up bonus is generous and can be redeemed for up to 190,000 HHonors points worth of value, not even factoring in the $100 statement credit after a Hilton stay
- Gold status in and of itself justifies the annual fee after just a couple of Hilton stays, in my opinion
- The annual free weekend night certificate makes it worth spending $10,000 on the card, in my opinion, and Diamond status can be worth spending $40,000 on the card as well, depending on your travel patterns
While we’ve seen a similar limited time sign-up bonus in the past, I don’t ever recall seeing a better sign-up bonus than this for the Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve Card.