One of the best uses of Air France/KLM FlyingBlue miles is booking their Promo Awards. FlyingBlue publishes these every month, and they offer 25-50% off select award tickets on Air France and KLM metal. Back in the day Promo Awards would consistently be for 50% off and would have a good number of options in business class, though unfortunately they’ve devalued the program somewhat since then, and the discounts now vary.
However, there are still some great values to be had. FlyingBlue just published their latest Promo Awards. These are valid for bookings made between April 1 and April 30, 2015, and for travel between June 1 and July 31, 2015. This set of Promo Awards is pretty average, I’d say. For a bit of context, check out the other recent Promo Awards:
- January/February Promo Awards
- February/March Promo Awards
- March/April Promo Awards
- April/May Promo Awards
- May/June Promo Awards
For this Promo Award period, there are seven North America destinations that are eligible for discounted awards, which is a bit more than usual. Three are for business class, three are for premium economy, and one is for economy. Unfortunately only two Promo Awards are for 50% off, while the rest are for 25% off. Here are the eligible routes:
- Europe to Atlanta / Business Class / Air France / 25% off
- Europe to Boston / Economy Class / Air France / 25% off
- Europe to Edmonton / Business Class / KLM / 25% off
- Europe to Miami / Premium Economy / Air France / 25% off
- Europe to Minneapolis / Business Class / Air France / 50% off
- Europe to New York JFK / Premium Economy / Air France / 50% off
- Europe to San Francisco / Premium Economy / Air France / 25% off
Keep in mind that these awards only become bookable as of tomorrow, April 1, 2015, and in the meantime you can still book the March Promo Awards, which are as follows:
- Europe to Dallas / Business Class / KLM / 25% off
- Europe to Edmonton / Business Class / KLM / 50% off
- Europe to Mexico City / Economy Class / Air France / 25% off
- Europe to Montreal / Business Class / KLM / 25% off
- Europe to Toronto / Business Class / KLM / 25% off
While I personally almost only redeem miles for international premium cabins, Promo Awards in economy can be an especially good deal, since the fuel surcharges are quite reasonable. Last June FlyingBlue decreased fuel surcharges on economy class award tickets, so that has become a much better value since. For transatlantic economy tickets, fuel surcharges are ~$100 each way.
Anyway, check out the full listing of Promo Awards, as there are great deals to be had in other regions as well.
As a reminder, FlyingBlue is transfer partners with Membership Rewards, and points generally transfer instantly.
While the Promo Awards aren’t valuable to everyone, if they coincide with travel you have planned, they’re a heck of a deal. Hopefully some of you can take advantage of them.
Do you plan on taking advantage of one of FlyingBlue’s Promo Awards?