Over the past couple of years one of my favorite airline partnerships has been between Alaska and Emirates. While the partnership began in 2012, reciprocal mileage redemption only began in early 2013.
Suffice to say this presented an awesome value, given that Alaska allows stopovers on one-way awards, and has very reasonable redemption rates for Emirates. I recently redeemed 100,000 miles to fly with my dad from Los Angeles to Dubai in Emirates A380 first class, connecting from Dubai to Singapore in Emirates A380 first class.
Anyway, Alaska Mileage Plan now has a pretty lucrative promotion for travel on Emirates, whereby they’re offering both bonus miles and discounts for travel on Emirates. This is very similar to the promotion they offered last year.
I tend to think that Alaska Mileage Plan is already one of the best programs for crediting miles from paid Emirates travel, and that just got even more lucrative.
Alaska is offering bonus Mileage Plan miles for travel on Emirates out of the US. The basic details are as follows:
- Valid for travel on Emirates between March 1 and May 15, 2015
- Registration is required by March 31, 2015, and prior to first qualifying roundtrip
Mileage Plan is offering double miles for travel in paid economy and business class, and triple miles for travel in paid first class.
The “fine print” is as follows:
- Only valid on qualifying paid nonstop flights between Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Dallas (DFW), Houston (IAH), Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK), San Francisco (SFO), Seattle (SEA), or Washington D.C. (IAD) and Dubai (DXB), plus onward connecting flights through Dubai (DXB)
- Flights must be marketed and operated by Emirates
- Triple miles for first classes of service F, A, and P
- Double miles for business and economy classes of service J, C, O, I, Y, E, R, W, M, B, U, K, Q, L, T, V, X, and H
On top of that, Alaska is offering discounts for paid travel on Emirates:
- Receive $1,000 off the base fare for first class (F, A, P) of service
- $500 off the base fare for business (J, C, O, I) class of service
- $50 off the base fare for economy (Y, E, R, W, M, B, U, K, Q, L, T, V, X and H) class of service
- Valid for new ticket purchases only at emirates.com using promo code USALK15
- Fare discount offer is valid only on qualifying paid nonstop flights between Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Dallas (DFW), Houston (IAH), Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK), San Francisco (SFO), Seattle (SEA), or Washington D.C. (IAD) and Dubai (DXB), plus onward connecting flights through Dubai (DXB), from March 1, 2015 through May 31, 2015
- Tickets must be purchased by March 31, 2015
Now those are some real savings — I’ll take three, please!
With the future of Emirates first class redemptions using Alaska miles up in the air, it’s nice to see that the partnership isn’t completely falling apart and that they’re still working together. My hope is that long term first class redemptions on Emirates return for Mileage Plan members.
While the above isn’t a good enough promotion to mileage run or anything, for travel you’d make otherwise this is a great offer. Emirates does have some great paid first & business class fares, but unfortunately that’s primarily for travel originating outside the US, which wouldn’t be eligible for this promotion.