In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Starwood really seems to be leading the way on the hotel front when it comes to creating new value-add partners with other travel providers.
In early 2013 Crossover Rewards was launched, whereby SPG and Delta members receive reciprocal points and benefits (though there are quite a few exclusions). On the airline front that was later extended to Emirates with the introduction of Your World Rewards. Starwood also has a partnership with Caesars in Las Vegas.
Earn Starpoints for Uber rides
It looks like Starwood is leading the way in expanding this benefit to yet another aspect of the travel experience — SPG members can now earn Starpoints for Uber rides!
Through this new partnership, Starwood Preferred Guest members earn:
- One Starpoint per dollar spent on all Uber rides
- Bonus Starpoints when using Uber in conjunction with a hotel stay, as follows:
- Preferred members earn two Starpoints per dollar spent
- Gold/Platinum members earn three Starpoints per dollar spent
- Platinum members with 75 nights earn four Starpoints per dollar spent
Regarding the bonus Starpoints for Uber rides during your hotel stay, it seems like they define Uber rides during that period as being “where the pick-up for such Uber Usage occurs during the Stay Eligibility Period.” In other words, it seems like any Uber rides that are during an eligible SPG stay would qualify for the enhanced earnings structure.
While some of the airline partnerships are only limited to elite members of both programs, all members are eligible for this, though there are two things to note:
- You can only earn Starpoints for your first $10,000 of spend with Uber per calendar year
- You must have stayed at an SPG property once so far in the calendar year in order for this promotion to be “activated” (the exception is that for January 1-31, a stay in the prior calendar year is fine)
How to register for SPG/Uber partnership
The process of registering for the partnership is super easy. Just go to the page describing the SPG/Uber partnership and log into your SPG account.
From there you’ll be prompted to log into your Uber account, and then your accounts will be linked. It really is that easy.
Best credit cards to use for Uber rides
Keep in mind that the above Starpoints are in addition to the points you’d usually earn for credit card spend with Uber. So you’re best off using the following credit cards to pay for your Uber ride:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card — earn two Ultimate Rewards points per dollar spent
- The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card and Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card — earn two Membership Rewards points per dollar spent (which is a perk for all cards accruing Membership Rewards points), and if you make a minimum number of monthly purchases with either card you can receive a 20-50% points bonus
SPG/Uber bottom line
This is an awesome new program. I love SPG and I love Uber, so earning bonus Starpoints for Uber rides I’d take anyway is great! I’m not sure it’ll actually sway my behavior as a consumer, but it’s awesome for sure.
How do you feel about the new SPG & Uber partnership?