With fuel prices down, a lot of consumers ask “why aren’t airlines passing on the savings?” The answer is simple, because the cost of tickets is in no way linked to the cost of fuel. Instead it’s based on capacity and demand, and right now capacity is down and demand is up, which is why fares are up. It’s the same reason fares weren’t higher when the airlines were on the brink of bankruptcy and fuel prices were sky high. 😉
That being said, Alaska is running a promotion entitled “Paying it Forward,” the premise of which being that they’re saving on fuel prices lately and want to pass that on. Of course it’s just a marketing gimmick, but at least it’s a cute one.
Through this promotion they’re offering discounts of 10-20% using promotion code FUELSAVINGS.
The basic terms are as follows:
- Book by today, January 14, 2015
- 10% discount for travel Thursdays through Mondays, 20% discount for travel Tuesdays & Wednesdays
- Valid for economy tickets booked in L, V, K, G, T, or R fare classes
- Valid for travel January 21 – February 11, February 23 – March 11, and April 14 – May 13, 2015
A promotion like this is especially lucrative with Alaska Airlines since:
- MVP Gold members can change or cancel tickets for free, so if the fare has dropped because of this promotion you can save some cash that way
- All passengers can change or cancel tickets for free up until 60 days prior to the ticketed flight departure date, so you can potentially rebook and save
The full terms are as follows:
* Discount Code Terms and Conditions:
Discount Code FUELSAVINGS is valid for 20% off travel on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, and 10% off travel Thursdays through Mondays, for up to 7 passengers traveling on the same reservation. Ticket must be purchased by January 14, 2015. Travel is valid January 21 – February 11, February 23 – March 11, and April 14 – May 13, 2015, on discounted coach base fare levels booked in L, V, K, G, T, or R class, and published at alaskaair.com Travel is valid between any Alaska Airlines cities, excluding Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. Travel is valid only on flights operated by Alaska Airlines, and flights operated on behalf of Alaska Airlines by Horizon Air, Sky West and Pen Air. Not valid on codeshare flights. Not valid for First Class fares, or coach fares booked in Q, H, M, B, S, or Y classes of service.
Alaska’s “Paying it Forward” promo bottom line
Obviously the promotion is intended to generate additional revenue and not to actually pass on savings, though I do like the premise. Promos like this are especially lucrative with Alaska, given their generous change and cancellation policies.
Was anyone able to save some cash thanks to this promotion?