I have a tendency to procrastinate, or at least not prioritize things that aren’t important on a day-to-day basis. With the end of the year quickly approaching, I just wanted to make a quick list of miles and points tasks that I need to complete by the end of the year, and figured I’d share in case anyone else is in the same boat.
In no particular order:
- Book Delta SkyMiles awards with stopovers by December 31, 2014
- Register to receive 500 free Virgin America points by December 31, 2014
- Purchase Hyatt gift cards at a 10% discount by December 31, 2014
- Take advantage of the $200 airline fee credit offered on American Express Platinum cards
- Check account activity to ensure I’ve spent the right amounts on my credit cards to receive the annual threshold bonuses
Then there are a few “buy points” promotions:
- Up to 25% off Starpoints through December 31, 2014
- Buy American AAdvantage or US Airways Dividend Miles for ~2.06 cents per mile through January 2, 2015
- Buy United MileagePlus miles for ~2.82 cents per mile through December 31, 2014
None of these are particularly lucrative, so I wouldn’t make speculative purchases.
If you need a handful of points to top off for an award it’s better to get a discount than not though!
In terms of elite status, I always like to go through my various hotel and airline accounts and make sure I received credit for stays and flights, in addition to “auditing” my points balances.
I’m missing some points from a stay at the Park Hyatt Washington DC, for example
If something didn’t post, it’s easier to take care of it before the qualification period ends, in my experience.
None of these are particularly time-consuming (with the exception of booking Delta SkyMiles awards, of course), but it’s worth taking the few minutes to get everything wrapped up by the end of the year.
What about you? What year-end miles and points tasks will you be finishing up in the next couple of days?