Back in August and October I wrote about the increased sign-up bonus on the Virgin Atlantic MasterCard. While the card has had fairly good bonuses in the past, this was the best I had ever seen, at up to 90,000 miles after qualifying spend. Anyway, a while after I posted the link it seemed to have disappeared, though the offer is back once again, and seems to be valid through December 19th.
The Virgin Atlantic MasterCard isn’t the most lucrative credit card out there given that I don’t find it to be very rewarding for everyday spend, and I don’t find their Flying Club miles to be all that valuable.
Still, this has the potential to be a good sign-up bonus, especially if you have a lot of the other lucrative cards out there, and if you spend a lot in categories that don’t other qualify for bonuses.
The card is marketed as offering up to 90,000 miles, as follows:
- 20,000 Flying Club bonus miles after your first retail purchase
- 50,000 additional Flying Club bonus miles after you spend at least $12,000 in qualifying purchases
- Earn up to 15,000 additional bonus miles upon anniversary
- Earn up to 5,000 Flying Club bonus miles when you add additional authorized users to your card
- Earn 3 miles per $1 spent directly on Virgin Atlantic purchases and 1.5 miles per $1 spent on all other purchases
There is a $90 annual fee, which isn’t waived the first year.
As you can see the card basically offers 70,000 Flying Club miles after you spend $12,000, and if you add two authorized users you get an additional 5,000 miles, for a total of 75,000 miles.
The card ordinarily offers 1.5 miles per dollar spent, so you’d earn a total of 93,000 miles after spending $12,000 and adding two authorized users. That isn’t half bad, especially for non-bonused spend.
Unfortunately there are fuel surcharges for travel on Virgin Atlantic, though at least the redemption rates are reasonable, at 40,000-50,000 miles for a one-way Upper Class ticket between the US and UK.
I’d only sign up for this if you already have most of the other great cards out there, and if you spend a lot in non-bonused categories.
(Tip of the hat to View From the Wing)