One of the best uses of Air France/KLM FlyingBlue miles is booking their Promo Awards. FlyingBlue publishes these every month, and they offer 25-50% off select award tickets on Air France and KLM metal. Back in the day Promo Awards would consistently be for 50% off and would have a good number of options in business class, though unfortunately they’ve devalued the program somewhat since then, and the discounts now vary.
However, there are still some great values to be had. FlyingBlue just published their latest Promo Awards. These are valid for bookings made between December 1 and December 31, 2014, and for travel between February 1, 2015 and March 31, 2015. While the January/February Promo Awards were quite impressive, this list is a bit more lackluster (which isn’t really surprising, since March can be a busy month for travel).
For this Promo Award period, there are only three North America destinations that are eligible for discounted awards, as follows:
- Europe to Chicago / Economy / KLM / 50% off
- Europe to New York / Premium Economy / Air France / 50% off
- Europe to Toronto / Premium Economy / Air France / 50% off
So there’s not a single North America destination with discounted business class awards.
As a reminder, the above don’t become bookable until December 1, 2014. In the meantime you can still book the following (superior) discounted awards to North America for travel between February 1 and March 31, 2015:
- Europe to Chicago / Business / KLM / 50% off
- Europe to New York / Economy / Air France & KLM / 50% off
- Europe to Washington / Economy / KLM / 50% off
- Europe to Houston / Economy / Air France & KLM / 50% off
- Madrid to Miami / Economy & Business / Air Europa/ 50% off
- Europe to Montreal / Business Class / KLM / 25% off
- Europe to Toronto /Business / Air France & KLM / 25% off
- Europe to Los Angeles / Economy / Air France / 25% off
- Europe to Tahiti / Economy / Air France / 25% off
While I personally almost only redeem miles for international premium cabins, Promo Awards in economy can be an especially good deal, since the fuel surcharges are quite reasonable. Last June FlyingBlue decreased fuel surcharges on economy class award tickets, so that has become a much better value since. For transatlantic economy tickets, fuel surcharges are ~$100 each way.
Anyway, check out the full listing of Promo Awards, as there are great deals to be had in other regions as well. This is also a good reminder to book last month’s promo awards while you can, given how many great options there are.
As a reminder, FlyingBlue is transfer partners with Membership Rewards, and points generally transfer instantly.
While the December Promo Awards are lackluster, maybe they’ll be useful for someone’s travel plans. More importantly, this is your last chance to book the November Promo Awards.
Do you plan on taking advantage of one of FlyingBlue’s Promo Awards?