Just a quick reminder to register your American Express cards for this year’s Small Business Saturday.
As I wrote about a couple of weeks ago, this is a promotion whereby American Express card members can register to receive a statement credit for purchases made at eligible small businesses on the Saturday after Thanksgiving (which this year is November 29, 2014). This year, American Express is offering a $10 statement credit for each qualifying transaction, up to three times per card (potentially for a total of $30 of statement credits per card).
Registration is technically open through Saturday, but in past years the registration cap has been reached on Thursday evening or Friday morning. I would absolutely register now if you think you might be taking advantage!
Enrollment literally takes just a few seconds, as you just have to enter your name, American Express card number, and email address.
Here are the basic details of this year’s Small Business Saturday promotion:
- Each American Express card is eligible for up to three $10 statement credits (this includes authorized users on an account, and not just primary cards)
- Eligible cards include personal, small business, Serve, and Bluebird cards — corporate cards and all other prepaid cards are not eligible
- To qualify for the statement credit, the card must be used for a single $10 or more in-store transaction on Saturday, November 29, 2014
- The statement credit should post within 90 days (though in practice, usually much faster than that)
- You can find eligible small businesses on the Shop Small Map located at shopsmall.com
If maximized, this promotion is actually the most lucrative version we’ve seen. In the past American Express has offered up to a $25 statement credit on a single transaction per card, though you’re potentially looking at $30 of statement credits per card with this offer. Best I can tell you can make multiple qualifying $10 purchases at the same business, they just have to be processed separately.
This is a heck of a promotion, and is one of the many reasons I keep several American Express cards long term.
How many credit cards do you have registered for Small Business Saturday?