I’ve written in the past about Silvercar, which is an innovative new car rental service that has the potential to do to the car rental industry what Uber did to the taxi/car service industry.
What makes Silvercar unique is that they only have one type of car — an Audi A4 — which comes with a bunch of cool features, including:
- Free GPS
- Free wifi
- Free satellite radio
- Fair toll tracking
- Reasonable fuel plan (if you choose not to fill up your car you pay the local pump price plus a $5 fill-up fee)
Furthermore, Silvercar eliminates the lines when picking up a car. When you download their app you can just go directly to the car and use the app to unlock the car.
The one downside is that Silvercar doesn’t have that many locations yet. So far they’re only available in:
- Austin, Texas (AUS)
- Dallas Love Field, Texas (DAL)
- Dallas Ft. Worth, Texas (DFW)
- Denver, Colorado (DEN)
- Los Angeles, California (LAX)
- Miami, Florida (MIA)
- Phoenix, Arizona (PHX)
- San Francisco, California (SFO)
How to get $200 in referral credit
Silvercar is currently offering $100 for every new customer that rents a Silvercar for two days or more using your personal code, now through the end of the year.
On top of that, if you refer five people they’re offering a further $500. So you’re getting $200 for each of those five people you refer!
The email blast notes that there’s “no limit to the amount of credit you can earn,” but I’m seeking clarification on if the $500 bonus is for every five people you refer or just the first five. Either way, it’s a potentially very lucrative deal.
How Silvercar referral credit works
Unlike other companies, Silvercar pays in the form of Visa gift cards. This isn’t like Uber where the referral bonus comes in the form of more credit with the company, but rather you’re getting a Visa electronic gift card which will be sent out within 30 days of the end of the month when the rental is completed.
So if you’ve referred people to Silvercar be sure to keep an eye on the spam folder in your email. Do keep in mind it takes them a while to pay, as you only get paid 30 days from the end of the month when the rental is completed (not when the rental is booked). And there’s also not a way to track online how many people have rented using your referral link, but rather you can just tell when you receive the email.
If you haven’t yet used Silvercar or a referral code, simply go to the sign-up page on silvercar.com, and enter the “Referral Code” at the bottom of the page. If you’d like to use mine (which I’d of course be incredibly grateful for) it’s BSCHLAPPIG, though feel free to post yours below as well, and someone else can use it.
For those interested, the full terms are as follows:
- $100 reward only earned upon the completion of a new customer rental of two days or more.
- Qualifying referral reward payments will be made every Friday starting 11/14/2014 through 1/9/2015 with the exception of 12/26/2014 and 1/2/2015.
- New customers are defined as anyone that has not previously completed a Silvercar transaction.
- Qualifying transactions must be booked and started after 11/5/14 and on or before 12/31/14.
- Existing reservations that are canceled and rebooked are not considered qualifying transactions.
- Referral codes cannot be applied (retroactive or otherwise) to started or finished transactions.
- “Cash” will be paid in the form of a pre-paid Visa debit card offered through Prepaidcodecenter.com.
- As part of reward redemption, referrer has the option to select virtual debit card for immediate use or have physical card mailed to them.
- For other terms and conditions visit blog.silvercar.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Has anyone used Silvercar yet? What was your experience?