There’s no denying that booking Lufthansa first class with miles is getting more difficult by the day:
- Lufthansa only releases first class award space to partner airlines at most 15 days out, so if you need to plan further out than that you usually need to redeem Miles & More miles
- Lufthansa is drastically cutting the number of first class seats they have in their fleet, so there are fewer seats for which to redeem miles
- United MileagePlus massively devalued their award chart and Avianca LifeMiles is blocking Lufthansa first class award space, so there aren’t many currencies that can still efficiently be redeemed for Lufthansa first class
Lufthansa A380 at Frankfurt Airport
Over the past year there have been a few occasions where Lufthansa has made first class award space available to partner airlines more than 15 days in advance:
- The most popular was between Toronto and Munich last November, whereby we booked over 1,000 first class award seats over the course of a day
- Last December first class space was wide open in advance between Frankfurt and Tokyo Haneda for a short while
- This February first class space was wide open in advance between Toronto/Vancouver and Munich for a short while
Anyway, there’s another pretty cool award opportunity right now. It probably won’t be as popular as some of the last ones, but I still think it’s pretty cool.
Lufthansa first class award space is wide open between Denver and Frankfurt for the first quarter of 2015. Most flights between Denver and Frankfurt have two first class award seats, though I don’t see any dates with more seats than that. As of April 10, 2015, this becomes one of the routes operated by a two cabin 747-400, meaning first class will be eliminated.
Via the ANA search tool:
Lufthansa first class award space in advance
The flight is operated by a 747-400, so if you get one of the updated planes, it should feature the seat & bed combo.
Lufthansa 747-400 first class
Best ways to redeem partner miles for Lufthansa first class
Since redeeming 110,000 MileagePlus miles doesn’t seem especially tempting and since LifeMiles is blocking Lufthansa first class award space, the best options are as follows (they all involve fuel surcharges of ~$400 each way):
- Air Canada Aeroplan: 62,500 miles one-way
- All Nippon Airways Mileage Club: 120,000 miles roundtrip
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer: 80,000 miles one-way
Lufthansa first class meal service
Anyone in a position to snag up some of these Lufthansa first class award seats?
(Tip of the hat to Denise)