IHG Rewards Club has one of the most lucrative (and complicated) fall hotel promotions, entitled Into the Nights. It’s valid for stays between September 4 and December 31, 2014, and through the promotion you have to complete various “tasks” in order to earn the highest bonus.
Here’s what my original bonus offer looked like:
However, as I wrote about yesterday, IHG seems to have changed the terms of the promotion for many members mid-promotion.
In my case, for example, the requirement went from having to download the IHG App and make one booking in order to “unlock” that bonus, to having to make five bookings through the app. That’s a huge change, obviously.
The question was whether this was intentional or a glitch. As it turns out the Into The Nights promotion change was intentional, which is pretty disappointing.
That being said, it seems like they’ll be honoring the old version of the promotion, for the most part. Per a post by IHG Care on FlyerTalk:
We apologize for the recent issue regarding the Into The Nights Promotion. We have identified the solution and are moving toward quick resolution.
We have been advised of the following:
- All affected IHG Rewards Club members who we know have made progress towards the offer, but then received a revised hurdle offer, will have their offer marked as “completed.”
- IHG Rewards Club will be sending a direct email communication to those members who have made progress toward their offer. We will be letting them know we will be honoring the original offer and marking their progress as complete.
- IHG will be honoring their original offer and IHG Rewards Club Members will see their offer as complete if they made progress toward it. If the members have yet to stay toward their offer, but have already registered, it will transition back to a hurdle of one stay to complete.
- IHG will not be changing any point values, so the members will receive the original amount of points that the offer showcased.
- IHG Rewards Club Members who have yet to register or to see their offers will receive the variable stay amounts. To those who may inquire why they have a variable amount, we are honoring the original offers that members saw when they received their offers. All members who are newly registering are receiving the correct variable amounts.
They’re using a lot of words to explain:
- If you’ve completed the offer (made one booking via the app), it will be marked as such
- If you haven’t made any progress towards the offer but have registered, it will be switched back to requiring only one stay booked via the IHG App
- If you haven’t registered for the promotion and/or haven’t “seen” your offer, then the new requirements apply
That seems fair enough, though they accidentally let one other thing slide. Even though this was communicated directly from IHG, my guess is that the above was intended to be an internal memo, since the last bullet point originally read as follows (bolding mine), before the statement was edited several hours later:
IHG Rewards Club Members who have yet to register or to see their offers will receive the variable stay amounts. To those who may inquire why they have a variable amount, simply say that we are honoring the original offers that members saw when they received their offers. All members who are newly registering are receiving the correct variable amounts.
It seems that IHG advised their agents to lie to customers in the event that they hadn’t yet registered for the offer by telling them that their offer hasn’t in fact changed.
Wow… and double wow for them accidentally posting that online.
How do you feel about IHG’s response to the situation?