In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, not those of the bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Please check out my advertiser policy for further details about our partners, including American Express, Chase, and Citi, and thanks for your support!
There are several foreign carriers that issue credit cards in the US, and some of them of them are extremely lucrative. Some are good for everyday spend, some are good for the threshold bonuses they offer, while others are lucrative for their huge sign-up bonuses. Anyway, one of those great sign-up bonuses is back, finally
Premier Miles & More World MasterCard has 50K sign-up bonus again!
For a limited time, Barclaycard has brought back the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus on The Lufthansa Premier Miles & More World MasterCard®. The basic terms are as follows:
- Earn 20,000 award miles after your first purchase and payment of the annual fee
- Earn an additional 30,000 award miles when you spend $5,000 in purchases within the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn 2 award miles per $1 on ticket purchases directly from Miles & More integrated airline partners and 1 mile per $1 on all other purchases
- Cardholders receive a companion ticket after first purchase and payment of the annual fee and annually thereafter
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases made outside the U.S.
- Redeem miles for flight awards and upgrades on Lufthansa, Star Alliance member airlines, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, SWISS, and other partners
- $79 Annual Fee
When it comes time to redeem Lufthansa Miles & More miles, there are a few things worth noting:
- They have a zone based award chart, and as you can see the redemption rates aren’t especially attractive in many cases
- Miles & More imposes fuel surcharges on the majority of award redemptions, which can add up quickly
- Lufthansa Miles & More miles are valid for 36 months from the date of issue, even if you have activity in the account
That being said, there are a few circumstances under which the program can be extremely valuable, and if you’re considering taking advantage of this offer it’s worth knowing how to maximize Lufthansa Miles & More miles:
For travel within the US
Lufthansa Miles & More charges just 25,000 miles for a roundtrip domestic US coach award, or 35,000 miles for a roundtrip domestic US business class award. They even offer one-way awards at half the cost of a roundtrip.
- While 25,000 miles is the standard roundtrip coach award cost, the 35,000 miles for a domestic business class award is among the lowest premium cabin redemption rates for any airline
- Lufthansa will charge the business class price for United domestic three cabin business class or United domestic two cabin first class, both of which book into the “I” (business class) award fare bucket
So after you’ve completed the minimum spend you’d have more than enough miles for either four United one-way domestic coach tickets or three one-way domestic business class tickets.
For travel in Lufthansa first class
Nowadays Lufthansa only releases first class award space to Star Alliance partners at most 15 days out, and even within that time frame they’re stingier than ever before. Sadly even for cabins that are half empty a couple of days out they’re often still not releasing space. A one-way first class ticket between the US and Europe costs 85,000 Miles & More miles, plus taxes and fuel surcharges.
This sign-up bonus gets you a good ways towards that, and given that you can transfer in points from Starwood it might be a good value to make up the difference and book Lufthansa first class.
This is a very good sign-up bonus, especially given that the card is issued by Barclaycard.