In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Update: This offer for the Citi ThankYou® Premier Card is expired. Learn more about the current offer here.
As an aviation geek there’s nothing cooler than a full motion airline flight simulator. Given that they cost millions of dollars, it’s kind of tough to get into them unless you have an “in” at an airline or training center.
There are a few airlines that actually let you redeem miles for flight simulator rides, though it’s usually prohibitively expensive. For example, you can redeem EVA Air InfinityMileage Land miles for a 1.5 hour flight simulator ride. The cost is 100,000 miles, and you have to be a Gold or Diamond member in order to qualify. You have to complete a form before the 15th of the month prior to the one where you want to schedule your session, and you can only do it Tuesdays or Thursdays between 2PM and 3:30PM.
But Thai Airways has just introduced a simulator offer which is actually an amazing deal. You can redeem just 9,900 miles for an hour long Thai Airways flight simulator experience.
The basic terms for taking advantage of this are as follows:
- Member must make a reservation at least 3 working days in advance. To make a booking, please call 02 545 3622 between the hours of 08.30 – 16.30 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- After the confirmation has been made with Flight Simulator Operation Department, member then need to complete the redemption process through Royal Orchid Plus website at www.thaiairways.com/rop. Member must log into their account and go to Lifestyle Redemption
- Once the online award redemption has been completed, mileage will be deducted from member’s account and an eCertificate will be sent to the email address in the member’s profile. Please note mileage re-credit is not allowed.
- Duration of the visit: Approximately 1 hour accompanied by a simulator specialist.
- Flight Simulation session times can be requested from 08.30 – 16.30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays. Due to crew training, session times are subject to change at THAI’s discretion.
- In the event of cancellation, the Flight Simulator Operation Department must be informed at least 1 working day in advance. Rebooking may be made 1 time within 3 months after the original booking.
- Flight Simulation is held at the Thai Airways International Head Office, Vibhavadi Rangsit Road, Bangkok, located in Building 5.
Keep in mind that Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus is transfer partners with Citi ThankYou Preferred, so you can redeem points earned through the Citi ThankYou® Premier Card for this experience.
I’m totally doing this the next time I’m in Bangkok. And I hope it’s possible to redeem miles multiple times for the experience — that would be a blast!
Would you redeem 9,900 Thai Airways miles for a flight simulator experience?
(Tip of the hat to Australian Business Traveler)