Through 11:59PM CT on Monday, July 21, 2014, United is publicly offering up to a 30% discount on the purchase of MileagePlus miles. It’s worth noting that they also seem to be sending out targeted offers to some members which are better, offering in some cases up to a 100% bonus. But the 20-30% discount seems to be the publicly available offer.
The bonus is tiered, with the following discounts:
- Buy 5,000 to 19,000 miles and receive a 20% discount
- Buy 20,000 miles or more and receive a 30% discount
With a 20% discount you’re looking at a purchase price of ~3.01 cents per mile, while with a 30% discount you’re looking at a purchase price of ~2.63 cents per mile.
On paper that’s definitely not a good deal, especially since United devalued their award chart in February, which greatly impacted premium cabin redemption costs on partner carriers.
That being said, everyone has to do the math on these promotions for themselves. If you’re 10,000 miles short of an aspirational award it could make sense to purchase miles, and if that’s the case you might as well take advantage of a promotion like this.
Lastly, it’s worth noting that United processes mileage purchases directly, so purchasing miles through this promotion would qualify as airfare spend for the purposes of your credit card.
Here are the full offer details:
- To take advantage of this offer, you must use the order links on this page.
- Minimum purchase of 5,000 miles required for this promotional pricing.
- Buy 5,000 to 19,000 miles and receive a 20% discount, or buy 20,000 miles or more for a 30% discount.
- Miles are available in increments of 1,000 up to a maximum of 100,000 miles, and in increments of 5,000 up to a maximum of 150,000 miles.
- Purchase up to 150,000 miles per account per calendar year.
- Displayed price includes all discounts and taxes.
- Credit card will be billed immediately upon purchase.
- Mileage rates and other fees and offer terms are subject to change.
- Allow 48 hours for miles to process and post to your MileagePlus account.
- Miles are nonrefundable.
- Promotional offer valid until 11:59 p.m. CT (Chicago local time) on July 21, 2014.
- Purchased miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier® status.
Were you targeted for a better than 20-30% bonus offer?