Daily Getaways is a promotion sponsored by American Express and the U.S. Travel Association, and is intended to boost US tourism. Every weekday from May 19 through June 20, 2014, travel packages and getaways will be on sale at discounted prices. The good thing is that you don’t have to decide on your dates or travel right away, because most packages come in the form of certificates or points, which can be redeemed over time.
A few things to keep in mind for all of these travel packages:
- Travel packages go on sale at 1PM ET, so you’ll want to be there a couple of minutes early if you want to take full advantage of it
- You get a 10% discount for paying with your American Express Card, which will be applied at the time of purchase
- Some travel packages sell out quickly, so if one shows as “sold out,” keep refreshing your browser and more packages may become available from people that “reserved” one in their cart but didn’t complete the purchase
Today’s Daily Getaways Package: Discounted Wyndham Rewards Points
Today Daily Getaways is offering discounted Wyndham Rewards points, in the following increments:
- 14,000 Wyndham Rewards points / $84 / 500 available
- 32,000 Wyndham Rewards points / $192 / 450 available
- 40,000 Wyndham Rewards points / $240 / 440 available
- 60,000 Wyndham Rewards points / $360 / 100 available
- 75,000 Wyndham Rewards points / $450 / 200 available
That comes out to 0.6 cents per point, or 0.54 cents per point if paying with an American Express Card.
While these are being marketed as free nights at certain hotel brands, in reality if you buy one of these packages you get enough points for a free night at one of those brands, and can redeem them however you’d like.
Last year these packages went like hot cakes, and the reason is that mileage transfers from Wyndham Rewards were a great value. You could convert Wyndham Rewards points into miles at the following ratios:
- 8,000 points to 3,200 miles
- 17,500 points to 7,000 miles
- 30,000 points to 12,000 miles
So it was basically an opportunity to purchase miles for 1.35 cents each.
Unfortunately a couple of months back Wyndham Rewards devalued the mileage transfer ratio by half overnight, so it now takes twice as many points to get the same number of miles.
That means this promotion is basically an opportunity to purchase miles for 2.7 cents each, which almost certainly is not worth it.
In terms of Wyndham Rewards’ award chart for free nights, here it is:
Purchasing those points at 0.6 cents each I think there’s limited upside, especially since Wyndham Rewards has a history of devaluations without notice.
For the past two years this has been the single hottest Daily Getaways reward. Two years ago points cost just ~0.3 cents each, then last year they raised the cost to 0.54 cents each. Then this year they’ve kept the price the same but doubled the number of points needed for mileage transfers. So they’re literally cutting the value of this promotion in half every year.
I’d be surprised if these packages go quickly this year, if they even sell at all.
Will you be taking advantage of the Wyndham Rewards Daily Getaways?