In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
For a limited time, Barclaycard has brought back the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus on The Lufthansa Premier Miles & More World MasterCard®. The basic terms are as follows:
- Earn 20,000 award miles after your first purchase or balance transfer and payment of the annual fee
- Earn an additional 30,000 award miles when you spend $5,000 in purchases within the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn 2 award miles per $1 on ticket purchases directly from Miles & More integrated airline partners and 1 mile per $1 on all other purchases
- Cardholders receive a companion ticket after first use of the account and annually after each account anniversary
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases made outside the U.S.
- Redeem miles for flight awards and upgrades on Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Swiss, Star Alliance member airlines and other partners
- $79 Annual Fee.
When it comes time to redeem Lufthansa Miles & More miles, there are a few things worth noting:
- They have a zone based award chart, and as you can see the redemption rates aren’t especially attractive in many cases.
- Miles & More imposes fuel surcharges on the majority of award redemptions, which can add up quickly.
- Lufthansa Miles & More miles are valid for 36 months from the date of issue, even if you have activity in the account.
That being said, there are a few circumstances under which the program can be extremely valuable, and if you’re considering taking advantage of this offer it’s worth knowing how to maximize Lufthansa Miles & More miles:
For travel within the US
Lufthansa Miles & More charges just 25,000 miles for a roundtrip domestic US coach award, or 35,000 miles for a roundtrip domestic US business class award. They even offer one-way awards at half the cost of a roundtrip.
- While 25,000 miles is the standard roundtrip coach award cost, the 35,000 miles for a domestic business class award is among the lowest premium cabin redemption rates for any airline.
- Lufthansa will charge the business class price for United domestic three cabin business class or United domestic two cabin first class, both of which book into the “I” (business class) award fare bucket.
So after you’ve completed the minimum spend you’d have more than enough miles for either four United one-way domestic coach tickets or three one-way domestic business class tickets.
For travel in Lufthansa first class
Nowadays Lufthansa only releases first class award space to Star Alliance partners at most 15 days out, and even within that time frame they’re stingier than ever before. Sadly even for cabins that are half empty a couple of days out they’re often still not releasing space. A one-way first class ticket between the US and Europe costs 85,000 Miles & More miles, plus taxes and fuel surcharges.
This sign-up bonus gets you a good ways towards that, and given that you can transfer in points from Starwood it might be a good value to make up the difference and book Lufthansa first class.
This is a very good sign-up bonus, especially given that the card is issued by Barclaycard. They have quite a few strong offers right now, actually!