Air France FlyingBlue Promo Awards — Up To 50% Off

One of the best uses of Air France/KLM FlyingBlue miles is booking their Promo Awards. They publish these every few months, and offer 25-50% off award tickets on Air France and KLM metal. Back in the day they would consistently be for 50% off, though unfortunately they’ve devalued the program somewhat since, and the discounts now vary.

However, there are still some great values to be had. FlyingBlue just published their latest Promo Awards. These are valid for bookings made between May 1 and May 31, and for travel between July 1 and August 31, 2014.

I’m always looking for the business class promo awards that are 50% off, and for the May 1 through May 31 booking window there are two such opportunities for travel to/from North America. This booking window is especially lucrative, since it’s for travel over peak summer dates.

The first is for travel between Europe and Washington Dulles in Air France or KLM business class, which costs just 31,250 FlyingBlue miles one-way:

Flying-Blue-Promo-Award-2

Then the second is for travel between Europe and Dallas in KLM business class, which also costs just 31,250 FlyingBlue miles one-way:

Flying-Blue-Promo-Award-1

While award availability to Dallas isn’t amazing, there’s tons of award availability to/from Washington Dulles. This is hardly surprising, given that Air France/KLM have three flights a day there — one to Paris on an A380, one to Paris on a 777, and one to Amsterdam on an A330. Looking at space in July, you’ll see there’s business class award availability almost every day:

Flying-Blue-Promo-Award-3

The only catch with FlyingBlue awards is that they impose big fuel surcharges for travel on Air France/KLM, so in addition to the miles you’ll pay ~$400 per direction in taxes and fuel surcharges.

Still, 62,500 FlyingBlue miles plus $800 for a roundtrip business class ticket to/from Europe is pretty tough to beat, assuming you live in one of the cities offering Promo Awards.

As a reminder, FlyingBlue is transfer partners with Membership Rewards, and points generally transfer instantly.

Check out the full listing of Promo Awards which are bookable starting tomorrow, as there are lots available to other regions and in economy class as well.

Comments

1. Larry says

Lucky — when do these usually become available for booking? That is, when does FB consider it to be May 1? Midnight CDG time?

2. Jeremy says

How would you rate AF business class (A330) to other airlines? I do not see many trip reports on it.

3. Aeroman380 says

ArrGghhh. This makes me upset that one cannot transfer Amex points here in Canada directly to FB! I think I have to txfr to Starwood first then to FB which isn’t good, right?

@ Jeremy — Ultimately it’s an angled product so definitely not my favorite. Would have a strong preference for a fully flat product, but if the route matches your travel needs, it might not be a bad option.

5. Loretta says

Hey Lucky, I have Chase Ultimate Reward Points, and Delta Miles, is there any way to book these promo awards with these? Transfer?

@ Loretta — Unfortunately not, they don’t partner with Ultimate Rewards and you can’t convert Delta miles into Air France miles.

7. Jeremy says

Thanks for the response. Trying to get to MUC in August out of ORD but it is slim pickings for C awards on other airlines.

Hi Lucky, I understand you told Loretta that Delta miles can’t be converted. But I was wondering if you could use Delta miles to redeem for Air France reward at the promotion rate? Thanks!

9. Tom says

You can always redeem AF/KLM awards to europe through Korean Air Skypass for 80k miles. Main caveat would be if there’s better availability directly through Flying Blue. Do you know if the award availability is better on AF/KLM flights booked directly through Flying Blue as compared to inventory that’s released to Korean Air? How about any differences in fuel surcharges and taxes between Flying Blue and Korean Skypass? Thanks in advance!

10. Loretta says

That’s very interesting, Tom, I will be curious to learn what Lucky knows about this!

@ Tom — That is indeed a good deal. Fuel surcharges should be the same through both programs in business class. I do believe Flying Blue still releases more space to their program than to SkyPass, though. In general I just don’t get excited about 80K + $1,000 roundtrip, and would rather book through a program like Aeroplan, where you pay 90K and can avoid the fuel surcharges.

@ Jason — That’s because there’s availability on one of their partner carriers, like Delta, on which they don’t impose fuel surcharges in most instances.

13. Ivan Y says

@ Lucky – FB pulled DFW promo and only kept IAD at 50% off. Per FT thread:

“Just to close the book on this…KLM requested I send them screen shots that DFW was actually 50% off, since they were refusing to acknowledge it. After I sent them a screen shot, they said they had to pull DFW this morning. When I responded they pulled it yesterday morning about an hour after the promo went live, I got a we’re sorry you’re disappointed response. Awesome management. So much for that experiment.”

At any rate, might make sense to wait a little bit and travel on AF when they upgrade to new business product.

14. traderprofit says

Everyone seems excited abt this when you can consistently use 35-50k VA miles (or 80 -100 Virgin Atlantic) +1100 and fly to Heathrow. The 190k being from LAX but the earning rate is 1.5 to $1.
    I argue it’s a lot easier to manufacture 35k Virgin America miles and find seats from Chicago or NY in Upper Class…..or am I wrong? Missing something? Maybe I just like non stop Virgin Atlantic from Vegas where there’s always someone famous in the 14 eat upper class cabin –I mean discounting my fame.