Delta SkyMiles 2015 Revenue Based Program Details

Last night I shared the details that Delta’s SkyMiles program is going revenue based as of 2015. Yes, even more revenue based than it already became this year.

This morning Delta released all the details of the new revenue based SkyMiles program. Well, at least all of the details they plan on sharing for now.

Delta-SkyMiles-2015

Miles for Delta flights will be earned based on ticket price instead of distance flown. This will make Delta the first U.S. global carrier to transition its frequent flyer program to a mileage-earning model based on the price of a ticket. You’ll earn 5 to 11 miles per dollar spent on base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges depending on your SkyMiles status.

General SkyMiles members – earn 5 miles per dollar spent

Silver Medallion members – earn 7 miles per dollar spent

Gold Medallion members – earn 8 miles per dollar spent

Platinum Medallion members – earn 9 miles per dollar spent

Diamond Medallion members – earn 11 miles per dollar spent

Delta SkyMiles Credit Card members – will continue to earn up to an additional 2 miles per dollar on Delta purchases with the Card

As I wrote last night, with Delta’s revenue requirement that’s in place right now they’re basically requiring you to spend an average of ten cents per mile.

So as a non-elite member you’ll apparently be earning five miles per dollar, which is 20 cents per mile. That cuts earnings rates in half.

As a Diamond Medallion you earn a 125% mileage bonus, meaning at an average of ten cents per flown mile you’re earning 22.5 miles per dollar spent, compared to the new maximum of 11 miles per dollar spent. Again, earnings rates are almost being cut in half. On top of that taxes don’t qualify towards the total, as you’d expect:

Ticket price used to calculate miles earned includes base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges, and excludes government-imposed taxes and fees. Tickets purchased in a foreign currency will be converted to USD at time of ticketing based on the IATA 5-day rate.

Delta-SkyMiles-Revenue-Calculator

On the plus side, they’ve “listened to our feedback:”

Redeeming Miles

We’ve listened to your feedback – you want it to be easier to redeem miles you’ve worked hard to earn, so we’re making Award Travel more flexible and giving you more redemption options.

Maybe it’s just me, I don’t really need SkyMiles to be easier to redeem. I mean, yes, it would be nice if they fixed their website, but they’re already easy to redeem… assuming you’re willing to do so at the “high” award level. And I really don’t think we wanted “more redemption options,” but rather just better redemption options.

More Award Seat Availability – We’re increasing Award availability at the lowest price levels and making it easier for you to find the seats that are most sought after. We’re also increasing the number of redemption levels overall to as many as five levels, giving you additional options requiring fewer miles.

I’ll believe them increasing award availability at the lowest price when I see it. The same goes for five levels of award availability, and that somehow giving us “additional options requiring fewer miles.”

One-Way Award Options – Starting in 2015, you’ll be able to choose Award options for a one-way ticket at half the price of a round-trip ticket.

So that’s good news at least.

Miles + Cash – You will be able to pay for a flight using a combination of miles and dollars. For example, a member may be offered the option to purchase an Award Ticket for 35,000 miles or a Miles + Cash Award Ticket for 25,000 miles + $159.

Unless those tickets are eligible for mileage accrual, paying 1.6 cents in place of redeeming SkyMiles doesn’t seem like much of a deal to me.

New Award calendar – We will launch an all-new Award calendar with expanded search capabilities and make sure it shows the lowest price for dates you select.

YAY! Okay, this is actually exciting. Isn’t it kind of sad that saying “hey, a feature on our website will actually work the way it’s intended” is a selling point of a massive devaluation?

The way members qualify for Medallion status is not changing. The redeemable miles earned toward Award Travel differ from Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) which are used to calculate Medallion status and will continue to be based on distance flown.

So it is worth noting that the new revenue based mileage accrual system only applies to redeemable miles and not Medallion Qualifying Miles, which will continue to be earned based on distance flown.

The winners and losers of the Delta SkyMiles changes

Reader Paul left the following comment on last night’s post (clearly he doesn’t have an axe to grind or anything):

Horrible news? Au contraire – at least not for those who generate profits for Delta (they get rewarded for their busine$$).

Travel hackers are not so subtly being invited to go elsewhere – or sit in the back. No more caviar for 20-Somethings who can barely afford a decent pair of shoes…

Long overdue development.

And ironically enough my conclusion is exactly the opposite. Mileage running hasn’t made sense in 99% of cases for the longest time now. Who’s being hurt with these changes? The average business traveler that’s spending ten cents per mile to fly Delta (that’s like paying $500 for a roundtrip transcon). The “breakeven point” here is at around 20 cents per mile, meaning you were paying more than $1,000 roundtrip for a transcon then you’ll come out ahead under the new system.

Delta-SkyMiles-Revenue-Calculator-1

I don’t think the average “profitable” Delta customer is spending an average of 20 cents per mile, though I could be wrong.

What’s funny is that if Delta is to be trusted here, then those earning miles through non-flying means will come out ahead! After all, earnings rates through credit cards don’t seem to be changing, and apparently Delta will be “increasing award availability at the lowest price levels” and introducing one-way awards at half the cost of a roundtrip. And apparently increasing the number of redemption levels overall to as many as five levels gives us “additional options requiring fewer miles.”

So those earning miles through non-flying means theoretically come out ahead here. And that’s the part that really puzzles me about the “evolution” of the airline loyalty program industry…

Comments

1. Blandon says

I hope the IATA 5 day rate doesn’t end up like the LIBOR, artificially tweaked for someone’s benefit.

2. rice says

WOW~~~it is very hard to understand why? but it will be “it is what it is”.
    i guess i may need to change to AA instead of DL

3. rv says

Some will win and some will lose – last year, I frequently spent almost $1 per mile on several business trips on DL – in that case, I would have done much better under the new program.

4. Bgriff says

Strangest thing here is keeping MQM earning the same. Maybe there were issues with partners and such with making that big of a change? But as a result, some high-value customers (business travelers who fly short routes at the last minute and pay high fares) will get better treatment in terms of RDMs, but will still have a hard time earning status, while those who fly long filghts on moderately-priced fares will still have a much easier time earning status. At least if the goal is to truly reward the customers who spend the most, just go all the way with it.

Also, speaking of partners, I wonder if this also applies when flying partners? Does Delta even know how much you paid when you fly a partner?

My impossible wish for Delta Sky Miles — to be able to spend miles to upgrade from discounted Coach into First on most any SFO-ATL nonstop I desire, if booked months in advance.

I’m not holding my breath…

6. DWT says

I am also very surprised that elite status won’t be solely tied to revenue, as it is with other airline programs based on revenue (WN, B6, VX). As it is now, the program is way too confusing. You earn based on revenue, but then elite status is a combination of miles flown + total spend.

Perhaps this is merely an interim program and eventually we will see the program transition completely to a revenue based system.

7. Jeff says

Did 5 business trips to London last fall on AA/BA at 10K per. In new Delta regime, that would be 250,000 miles before elite bonuses and 350,000 if you are just silver. This is a huge improvement for business travelers. I travel a lot on business and personal (more than my share of $250 tickets too, which is all the rest of my family ever uses), and see both sides to this, but I personally would love this system to apply to Medallion qualification too (which is worst of both worlds because of MQM and MQD requirement and thus unlikely to change).

8. Bgriff says

Also, another thought … there is no question that redemption prices are probably also going to go up under the new chart. As @Jeff’s example above shows, a lot of high-value customers would be earning a lot more miles under this new system, causing more SkyMile inflation. I doubt there are enough mileage runners getting their earning rates reduced to balance that out and keep the total miles issued around even.

9. Jeff says

Plus let’s not forget the Starwood partnership. Those dollar-based miles from Delta travel are actually quite valuable given the value of an SPG point. When you add it all together, a $500 transcon ticket doesn’t end up much worse on DL even if the others don’t change (which they will do). 6250 miles under old system for United silver elite (2500 o/w plus 25% bonus)versus 3500 miles for DL silver elite plus 500 SPG points. If DL award availability improves, that’s a close enough gap that’s more than made up by the possibility of earning a lot on higher prices tix.

Another example. Planning a trip to Chicago and lowest fare I can find is $340 r/t. Would earn silver elite 1,750 miles under conventional system. Would earn 2,380 miles under new system plus 340 SPG points. And that’s a leisure, two-month advance purchase ticket at the lowest available fare.

Just saying that sure there are going to be lots of examples where there this is significantly worse — long-haul cheap flights — but there are going to be many examples and not all for business travelers where it is not worse at all and even potentially much better.

10. Lantean says

So how will the partner flights count? Let’s say I buy a ticket on KLM… will Delta know how much a paid? And more importantly… why do they even care??? odd!

11. Lee A says

It used to be that I could sell my Elite status with Delta to my clients as a reason for them to pay a little extra and book me on Delta instead of Southwest or JetBlue- no extra baggage charges, entry with me into Skylounges and more. That would usually assure that my client would book me and my 3-8 person crew on Delta.

Not anymore. The new program will assure that my status drops, also dropping the benefits I pitch them on. I can now choose to either leave them outside the Skylounge or pay for them to come in, which they understand will be billed back to them. Helps me look really generous, right?

I keep reading “the way you earn Skymiles isn’t changing”, which sounds a lot like “if you like your Skymiles program you can keep your Skymiles program.” Well, as of today I’m shopping for both a new airline and a new credit card (sorry AMEX Delta Reserve!)

12. TonySCV says

Any business traveler whose company pays for business class will come out way, way ahead under this program, which is exactly the type of flyer Delta is trying to attract, and even if they only attract a small percentage of them with this program, that’s a significant revenue bump for them.

Of course, those with flexibility to choose will look at hard product and soft product, the ability to redeem miles on airlines they want to fly on and home airport convenience as well. By biggest issue with Delta is their mileage program and alliance is so poor. SkyPesos are still SkyPesos after all.

The key will be competition. United seems to be in a race to the bottom, leaving really only AA to go after high revenue customers with a hard and soft product that’s competitive with Delta domestically and internationally and a far better alliance. I’m really, really interested to see what AA does, particularly given that they were headed in a very premium direction which is a foreign concept to their new management.

13. Autolycus says

I think the people most likely to gain are those who fly internationally for business at high fares and those who get almost all their miles from CC spend. It’s the mid-tier bargain business travelers who are going to lose big in this.

If–big IF–the redemption rates stay in the same overall range (same low and same last seat rates) but are spread over 5 categories with a reasonable spread, the search engine and calendar improve, and availability is actually improved at low(er) redemption levels, I might actually come out ok as someone who flies once or twice a year for work and who can put a lot of spend on a Delta CC.

14. snic says

@Lantean – Simple: all tickets on Delta stock earn credit for $ spent; those on partners’ stock do not (even if the flights are on DL metal). That’s the way UA does it. Any reason to believe that DL would be different?

15. Lantean says

@snic

OK, so how many miles do we actually earn on partner stock? the miles flown? or none at all?

16. Ryan E says

Too bad they couldn’t roll out one-way awards now.

Worst aspect of this is that UA is probably quick to follow suit, and AA not far behind.

17. Santastico says

I hate Delta but in my case these changes may not be that bad. My typical weekly flights are to IND, OMA, RDU, BMI, DSM – yeah, I know it is not that much fun :( which give me very few miles (sometimes they are 500 miles round trip) but cost always around $1000 per ticket. Yes, tks to Delta I pay $1200 to fly MSP-OMA-MSP and earn 563 miles round trip. My other flight schedule is paid business class to Europe which also does not earn huge mileage compared to flying to Asia or Brazil but still costs around $7000.
    Thus, Delta may be doing me a favor since I spend a lot of money to earn very few miles with them.

18. pavel says

f**k delta. they want to be “new york’s airline” but — to this nyc-based frequent traveler — they have proven over the past five years that they are the pinnacle of incompetence both on the ground and in-flight. the cherry on top was being yelled at by an incredibly rude CSR who flat-out told me I didn’t have the adequate skymiles to have my complaint taken seriously.

luckily since my travel doesn’t take me anywhere near ATL or MSP, i never need to rely on them. i’ll enjoy watching their eventual decline.

Exactly what I thought too. I earn all my Delta (and most of the other) miles by CC spend and signup bonuses and plan to continue to do so, and for me, this announcement isn’t all that bad.

20. Cory says

I have trended away from DL for a couple of years now, flying AA a lot more due to its superior miles value resulting from a generally functional alliance. Whether I find value in the new Skymiles program remains to be seen and is entirely dependent upon what happens with redemptions. If they don’t butcher that (And, let’s be fair…they probably will) then it won’t be so awful and their CC products suddenly look much more appealing. Especially if it still means you can find some Biz Class flights to Australia either on DL metal or VA.

21. Nate says

@Santastico

Agreed, and I’m in the same boat. I think those folks flying frequent, short-to-mid haul flights at $400-500+ RT will come out ahead here.

Watch me mess up the math (I fly AA), but for a Diamond:
    40 RTs ORD-LGA @$400
    Current: 131,940 miles/yr
    Revenue: 176,000 miles/yr

22. Sven says

So why not collect in others program, then you can also collect Delta Flights. This are Virgin Atlantic Flying Club there are strong partner now.

@ Sven — You certainly can, though if you’re a frequent flyer you’d be missing out on upgrades, mileage bonuses, etc. So it’s a tradeoff.

24. llfromto says

I wonder how codeshares (both DL coded and non-DL metal/ DL metal but not DL coded) would be treated.

25. DBest says

So what’s the over/under for the Delta-Alaska divorce? Any west coast DL flyer should already be crediting to AS, and this just invites the rest of the country to join us.

26. Brian L. says

@Andrew & @Lucky – This may not be even “sorta” good, since we don’t know what the award charts will look like. If they devalue the award chart enough, it could be a total disaster.

27. Jeff says

I think AA and UA have no choice but to follow suit (although they are probably eager to). Otherwise, lower fare travelers will have incentive to fly AA and UA and higher fare travelers interested in miles will have a strong incentive to fly DL since the miles for high priced tickets will be enormous. With my weekly London flights last fall, AA got 100% of my 50K spend because they had a 25,000 bonus mile per r/t promotion and DL and UA never matched.

28. llfromto says

I am not surprised DL intentionally delayed announcing the awards chart changes so that I can tweak it based on flyer feedback from this news.

From the little news we know, I thought it would be an administrative nightmare to manage 5 tiers of awards. The actual costs to manage may be higher for DL overall.

29. CarlosCMH says

I understand why some people are mad (I fit into the short, moderately priced business travel segment, so I am going to reserve initial judgment) but from a logical angle, Delta is giving you “cash back” (FF miles) based on how much you spend, as opposed to how far your butt sits in their seat. Reward the big spender or the guy who finds a dirt cheap (yes, this is relative) flight to a far away place?

If you ask me, it makes sense, and UA and AA will follow in the next year or two (maybe longer for AA due to the merger at hand). If anything, the lucrative system in which we have all dabbled is now becoming a bit less lucrative and more realistic. We should be grateful we once got to partake in such programs, and enjoy it while it lasts. However short that may be.

30. Michael B says

It is official now, Delta really does want to drive away customers who are incentivized to fly more because of their “loyalty” program. And they will succeed. Is this good for Delta?

31. Jason says

So let me get this straight… DL is moving to a system through which they can issue rebate rewards in a quantifiable way rewarding the very customers (high fare passengers and CC spenders) they make the most money on? Huh. I bet the next thing this dastardly for profit company will do is try to make money on all these airplanes they put in the air each day.

And for those complaining about CC customers not losing out, just do the math. Assuming DL is getting at least half a cent back in excess of what it costs them to execute service on a skymile, they are making $1000 off my $200000 in annual spend before I even step foot on a plane. Assuming a generous 5% profit which I doubt they actually clear, they would need me to spend $20000 in fares to make the same money. My question is why won’t they let me hit Diamond with all the money I put on the co-branded cards?

32. Fred says

I’ll post in this discussion as well. As someone who routinely buys $6000-$8000 business tickets like 5-7 times a year this is going to be great for my earning abilities. Just as an example I paid $7500 for a last minute business class round trip to Japan last year flying out of LAX. I got ~20K miles for it. Now I am going to get 82,500 miles!!! x5-7 times a year that will add up quick. Too bad Delta’s international business product is still just okay. If they can ever get their service/product level up to some of the *alliance top performers I wouldn’t even mind paying for those tickets, not that I have a say in where I need to travel for work.

33. Autolycus says

@Fred, Your point is still completely valid, but it does appear Delta has put a 75,000 RDM earnings cap per person per reservation. 75k is still a heckuva lot better than ~20k though!

34. Fred says

@Auto: Oh didn’t read through the fine print yet about the 75k cap.

Also I do have to say that I feel sorry for some of my consultant friends who have east coast assignments where they fly out 40+ weeks a year. I am not sure how much they pay for their tickets but they were some of richest skypecos earners I know. I guess there will be winners and losers when this change happens.

@ Andy — You certainly can, though it’s anyone’s guess if their earnings rates will change for Delta as well. The only thing to keep in mind is that if you’re a frequent Delta flyer you get other benefits for getting Delta status, like upgrades, mileage bonuses, etc. So there is some tradeoff.

36. Jeff says

Don’t understand the earnings cap. Effect seems like it would penalize PM and DM on really high fares. For example, SM on a 10K ticket earns 70,000 miles. If there’s a cap, the PM only earns 75,000 on same ticket. Why do that to your best customers? Other than the higher medallion levels, seems extremely tough for anyone to hit the cap on any ticket.

By the way, why are people everywhere commenting that this is the death knell of mileage runs on DL? If elite qualification is still based on MQM, then mileage runs don’t change. Sure you might get less actual miles for a long run on a cheap ticket, but you’ll still earn the same MQMs as under current system. Am I missing something?

37. concorde02 says

I think DL takes this a bit to extreme. It’s already a profitable airlines, are there needs to drive the profitability higher this much? There are balance between profit/revenue generator vs keeping royal customers. If you do everything to drive 90% of the current royal customer away, would the business stay healthy?

If you buy expensive fares but not on long flights, you still can’t make status cuz status is based on distance. Basically, this cut out only a very few percentage of customers that will benefit from this change.

Surely, UA and AA will follow, but to the same level? They may match some but keep some differences to make them more competitive. Maybe to the better balance to keep some (higher percentage of) royal customers with them. I am hoping that, after the change of UA and AA, DL would still define the lower bound (on how bad the program is), as it has always been, and UA and AA will keep it a bit above!

38. Globe Trotter says

All well and good for some people but if you rely on spending with co-branded cards this sucks if you do not live in the USA as there are less options for us to earn miles that way and therefore making status in the future very very difficult.

39. sturbay says

So here is the real math to a BETTER more REWARDING program that benefits the most LOYAL flyers…
    Let’s say you travel JFK-LAX round trip and spend a whopping $1,000 before taxes on that fare which is almost the equivalent of buying this ticket on H fare bypassing 7 lower class fares (V,X,T,U,L,K,Q). This is what will happen thru the different levels of statuses. Keep in mind that this is being advertised as a better way to reward your loyalty…
    No Status: Current 4,950 miles, future 5,000 miles;
    Silver Status: Current 6,187 miles, future 7,000 miles;
    Gold Status: Current: 9,900 miles, future: 8,000 miles;
    Platinum Status: Current: 9,900 miles, future 9,000 miles;
    Diamond Status: Current: 11,137 miles, future: 11,000 miles.
    What is this saying about loyalty? LOL Did someone actually really thought about this? Yes we will reward no status and silver status better! while we will take miles away from Gold, Platinums, and Diamonds…

40. bwnoles says

I may be in the minority as a Platinum that takes short direct flights out of ATL. My usual trips are to MSY, MEM, PNS and MOB. These flight range from 300-500 roundtrip. With the 9 cents a mile rate for Platinum, I’ll acutally earn an extra 1000 – 1500 miles per trip. I seem to get punished for any long haul or transcontinental flights which is very strange.

41. deltasegmentflyer says

I as a short segment guy will come out ahead on this delta and we shall see about the new award chart.

42. Tar000 says

Wow!! What a devaluation! If you are not located near one of Delta’s hubs (thus having no choice), why would you even consider this airline? In the last one year the amount of devaluations this company has made is striking. From award chart devaluations to the ‘SkyClub’ to this…time to look around for a status match!!

43. Endre Pekarik says

People people people… The $ spent on ticket DOES NOT include TAXes and charges. I Just looked at my 9000+ miles transatlantic ticket on the $1300 price, I only paid $489 to Delta!!!! Being Diamond, I get 489*11=5379 miles instead of the 18,000 miles I get now. Wow.. now that is a huge difference!!!!

@ Endre Pekarik — Keep in mind that fuel surcharges are eligible for mileage accrual. So while $489 might be the base fare, substantially more than that would count towards mileage accrual, including the fuel surcharges.

45. DeltaSegmentFlyer says

I get that a lot of people may come out negative. But in some cases others come out ahead. I just booked a flight for next week. I will receive 4500 skymiles for this trip. In 2015 I would have received 13849 skymiles (No Taxes etc). Needless to say this is a positive for me. I also know on other flights I will end up losing.

46. memphispiano says

As a 20+ year veteran of Delta’s top tier (diamond now), anyone who thinks they will come out “ahead” is severely delusional. This is the worst thing to happen to loyal customers ever. They just don’t understand that these programs were made to encourage us to give them ALL our business NOT to “reward” us for buying high dollar tickets. Right now, they are running lean and have the planes at capacity. But someday the economy will go bunk again, and the high dollar tickets will dry up—and they’ll wish they had some loyal customers again.

47. John Delta says

According to DELTA:

HOW WILL I EARN MILES FOR PARTNER
    AIRLINE FLIGHTS?

Flights marketed and ticketed by Delta’s partner airlines will earn mileage based on a percentage of distance fl own and fare
    class paid. More details will be announced later in 2014.

48. DannyThree says

@lucky,
    There may be one more benefit to using your Delta Amex; this site says:
    Please note that while the miles you earn for Delta flights are determined by base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges, the miles you earn with your Delta SkyMiles Credit Card will be based on the total ticket price.

49. Pat E says

I’m extremely upset. My husband and I have each been a gold member of Delta for something like 6 or 7 years running, and we go out of our way to travel on Delta to get the gold. I just did a search on their calculator, and every single one of the trips that I plan on booking (in the next 3 months), I will receive something between 1/6 to 1/3 the amount of miles I would have last year. I’m going to book a trip from LGA to FLL 10 days from now, and I will get 1/3 the amount of miles. How can that possibly be? That is not a discounted fare! It’s not first class, but it’s not discounted. How will an actual frequent flyer ever get to gold again? Also, did anyone catch on their American Express Card that you cannot bring guests into the Delta Lounge for free any longer? It’s a $29 fee now? We bring our 10 and 12 year old in. They have water and one of those little paper cups full of pretzels! So now that will be $29!!!!???? So much for my 30+ years of loyalty to Delta! We are looking for another airline. I’m disgusted.

50. John Delta says

Pat,
    We both agree with you 100%

I have been with DELTA since 1963 and a Skymiles member since inception. We are actively researching alternative carriers for for our travel plans.

We regularly fly between the mainland and Hawaii and our last RT ticket cost us $412/p person. Our high mileage rewards for those trips will be cut to one-third (similar to your comments).

It’s time for the loyalists to revolt and send a message to King DELTA that we will not tolerate such abuse as loyal past flyers .

I am confident there will be many airlines salivating on the sidelines hoping to scoop up a lot of DELTA’s abandoned and frustrated to their programs.

Before we leave, we plan to write a long, thoughtful and sincere farewell letter to DELTA illustrating their poor choices.

We encourage all SkyMiles members to immediately engage DELTA in comment, conversation, discourse and feedback highlighting our displeasure with their “bean counter” approach to managing their most valuable asset; their flying patrons!

51. Linda Sherman says

I think it is a lie for Delta to promote that “The updates to the 2015 SkyMiles program will not impact how you earn Medallion status.”
    In fact, they added a minimum spend requirement so that miles alone will not do it.

52. Frank says

From a business standpoint, I can understand why Delta wants to do this–it’s a cool, calculated move. This reaffirms my impression of Delta as an arrogant company and treats regular economy people poorly. Besides Delta itself, the people that benefit from this personally will be those in higher positions with companies and money backing them in the first place for flying business class or paying higher fares. People who can better afford to pay for personal trips rather than use redeemable miles. For the average Joe who has to watch his money and really gets excited about accumulating miles for a free vacation trip, it’s another slap in the face and reminder that he’s not playing in the right league. Another sign of big business keeping the spoils among the elite few.

53. Chris Roberts says

There is a quiet problem with Delta MQM system that is still there DO YOU KNOW MQMs can only be earned 10 Months a year Jan and Feb don’t EVER COUNT. as Per DELTA TODAY! so now in a year I lost the last 150 Miles to make my mediallion this year so I get “early boarding in zone one” and i still get to Pay for bags and lose my 2X miles all because they DO NOT make public that a delta year is 10 months! Spread this around. Year = 10 Months in the Delta dictionary.

54. Deltasegmentflyer says

@chris mqm’s do count in Jan and Feb for the current calendar year. It is a 12 month calendar year jan-dec.

55. LB says

So Delta is supporting US businesses who take their business out of the US. Those international business travelers who take their business overseas will be rewarded for taking $$’s out of the US workers’ pockets and supporting overseas business, because those are the higher priced tickets. I am a weekly traveler who books my flights in advance in order to save money for my clients, and therefore increases profits for my US based clients. I thought Delta was a US based company. It seems they are not. This policy makes sense to me…………NOT. I am taking my business travel needs elsewhere

56. JT says

Did anyone mentioned that as a Platinum Medallion for 2015 you will be unable to get a systemwide upgrades certificates anymore! Please tell me how better is this change?

57. Heather says

I’m trying to decide if I need to cash out.

So if I have 65,000 points, should I use it for a trip across the country now ATL to SEA, or wait until the new system and we may be going to Europe next year.

@ Heather — On the redemption side I don’t think things will necessarily get worse, so I wouldn’t go out of your way to sub-optimally redeem miles now.

59. Ned Heltzer says

I have been Diamond and Platinum on Delta for several years. While the change in Delta program would not materially change my benefits, I have foregone travel on Delta for the past year except for an occasional FF with paying ticket. Other airlines may follow suit but for now Delta is a rotten deal for the infrequent flyer and we all need to band together to lend all flyers a hand. No more Delta for me unless pricing is best deal and I doubt that’s going to be the case.