…and will basically pay you to rent a car from them.
Back in December I wrote about Silvercar for the first time, which is an innovative new car rental service that has the potential to do to the car rental industry what Uber did to the taxi/car service industry.
What’s different about Silvercar
What makes Silvercar unique is that they only have one type of car — an Audi A4 — which comes with a bunch of cool features, including:
- Free GPS
- Free wifi
- Free satellite radio
- Free toll tracking
- Reasonable fuel plan (if you choose not to fill up your car you pay the local pump price plus a $5 fill-up fee)
Furthermore, Silvercar eliminates the lines when picking up a car. When you download their app you can just go directly to the car and use the app to unlock the car.
So far Silvercar is available at the following airports:
- Austin, Texas (AUS)
- Dallas Ft. Worth, Texas (DFW)
- Dallas, Texas (DAL)
- Los Angeles, California (LAX)
- San Francisco, California (SFO)
$50 off your first Silvercar rental
Silvercar prices are fairly reasonable, and start at $59 per day on weekends. However, through June 30, 2014, they’re offering new customers $50 off a rental. Simply enter promotion code AFF-FTD when making a booking. To add a promotion code simply push the “add promo code” button at the bottom right of the booking page.
With this offer, the price of a rental can drop to just $9 per weekend day plus tax. Obviously this offer works out best for a one-day rental, since the $50 discount applies per rental and not per day, and it’s only available to new customers, so you can’t use it multiple times.
It gets better — Silvercar has a referral program
What I don’t think they had back in December but seem to have recently added is a referral program. And if I’m understanding the terms correctly, this can basically translate into getting paid for your first Silvercar rental.
Through their referral program they offer first time renters (and those referring them) a $25 gift card after their first rental. This isn’t like Uber where the referral bonus comes in the form of more credit with the company, but rather you’re getting a $25 Visa electronic gift card which will be sent out within 30 days of the end of the month when the rental is completed.
In other words, if I’m understanding this correctly, if you’re referred you can make an ~$11 rental (using the above $50 promotion code), and then receive a $25 Visa electronic card.
To enter a referral code, simply go to the sign-up page on silvercar.com, and enter the “Referral Code” at the bottom of the page. If you’d like to use mine (which I’d of course be incredibly grateful for) it’s BSCHLAPPIG, though feel free to post yours below as well, and someone else can use it.
The full terms for the referral program are as follows:
- When referring a new renter to Silvercar, the referrer as well as the referred will earn a $25 Visa electronic gift card.
- $25 earning applies to first-time renters who finish their first reservation, as well as the referrers of those renters. Neither referrers of repeat customers nor return customers will earn $25.
- Referrers and renters will receive payments within 30 days after the end of the month in which the rental was completed.
- A referrer exceeding $600 in total rewards in a calendar year will be subject to IRS income tax rules and will be issued a 1099 form for tax filing purposes.
- Silvercar reserves the right to change or discontinue this program at any time.
You can’t really beat getting paid to rent a car! I wouldn’t be surprised to see the terms change eventually, but as of now I’m pretty sure my interpretation is correct…