United MileagePlus Award Chart Devaluation Postponed By Two Days

Back in November United announced a huge award chart devaluation, which was supposed to kick in for bookings made on or after February 1, 2014. As a result there was a frenzy of people trying to lock in MileagePlus awards the past couple of days.

Anyway, United has slightly postponed this devaluation, as it will now kick in for bookings made on/after February 3, 2014. This is reflected on their award chart.

MileagePlus-Chart-Postponement

I can’t say I’m surprised. At the end of the day it seems easier for them to have a bit of a grace period than to deal with people that made mileage transfers that didn’t post in time, tickets that didn’t issue, etc. And for that matter I’d be kinda surprised if their IT is actually ready to go for the new award chart, given how complex it is. I think that’s probably the more likely explanation.

So it’s not too late, keep burning those MileagePlus miles!

Has anyone not burned all their United miles yet?

Comments

1. Sean M. says

Some of us are stocking up UA miles and eagerly awaiting the new award charts for the reduction in miles on some routes! :)

2. ande777emt says

As a heads up, I found LH F inventory on MEX-FRA in spatterings. ymmv

On a different note, how long does it take for Chase Sapphire rewards to post to MP? If it can be done within the weekend I might think about burning some more miles.

3. SBG says

Booked $20k worth of biz class tickets to Asia for 240,000 miles today… Insane inflation would be LOT higher.

4. jim says

go on united FB & twitter page, express your displeasure and outrage over this horrible devaluation!

5. mileswhore says

I’ve burned through the majority of mine. Even if the devaluation didn’t happen, I think the star alliance has just horrible inventory availability. And be careful with getting LH F class, I’m seeing that they are getting rid of a lot of their F. If you book the flights and cancel for later use (without getting the miles back), you might just end up with a lower class than you originally thought….who knows what might happen then with the mileage needed.

I was holding off on a Central Asia to Europe redemption till the price fell. Suppose it probably makes more sense to wait a few days rather than expecting their IT to auto correct the price within 10 days?

7. JH says

Lucky, when are you going to fly the Ethiopian Dreamliner? I hope you’re cashing in some points.

8. AdiosUA says

500,000 UA miles burned (balance = <3,000!) Just checked the published fare for my final Lufthansa F trip later this month: $19k! Yowza!

9. Nick says

United’s domestic availability is horrible for late 2014, almost as bad as Deltas.I have been having to route on US Air through CLT to make my intl award connections. I’m planning 40 min connections assuming they will just put me back on UA when schedules change. Burned through 500k miles.

10. Nathan says

Lucky
    Any word on SQ availability with UA. Told there was a technical glitch and couldn’t book last night. This was intra-Asia biz. Seats were available via ANA.

11. Austin says

Already booked award biz tix on LH. Hoping to get first 14 days before travel, however dep date is well into the devaluation period. Do you know if they honor old award chart since the original tix was booked prior Jan 31?

12. jim says

you can still act now, go to United FB & twitter page to voice your outrage and disappoinment over the extreme 87% increase devaluation!

13. Jonathan says

@Austin – Your ticket will need to be repriced since you are changing cabins. The old award chart will not be honored.

14. william says

Totally different subject, but did you see that India has lifted its ban on A380′s and Emirates and Lufthansa are expected to start flying there later this year?

15. Ken says

Thanks for the guidance on using up the UA miles. I am not sure if this priced correctly at 170 k last week or should be lower and it was really tough trying to do it without the system throwing me out. SAN-LAX-ICN-HKG. (UA/OZ/OZ) (Stopover) HKG-BKK-SYD (TG) (stopover). SYD-AKL ((NZ) (intended destination). AKL-PER (NZ) stopover). PER-BKK-TPE-SFO-SAN. (TG/BR/BR/UA). All in biz except NZ flights. Inspired by you to try different products.

16. AAExPlat says

I may be one of the few who did not burn my MP miles.

For one thing, I am very concerned that tickets booked far in advance (xmas 2014) will see schedule changes that lead to misconnects with partners, thereby potentially triggering repricing in case a different routing, partner, or cabin are required.

I also think that despite the devaluation, UA miles are still the most valuable currency for folks like me who require to travel at certain times of year and always do so with a party of 4. Only CX availability is better IMO. And of course, UA still allows stopovers on rt award redemptions, which AA does not.

So for the sake of flexibility and availability, I decided to keep my UA miles in the account.

I haven’t burned yet. I wanted to book my big end-of-the-year Asian trip, but the 330 day booking rule was stopping me from finding my return flights. These extra two days may make a difference for me.

18. DJ says

AAExPlat- i read somewhere that ticket change is allowed under old chart if only date changes but routing stays the same. anyone concurs?

@ Nathan — It doesn’t seem like there’s any update with award space on Singapore yet. If I hear anything I’ll be sure to post about it.

@ Austin — As Jonathan said, it would be repriced. The price only stays the same if the award type remains the same, and the only thing you’re changing are the flights/dates.

@ DJ — Correct, if airline, class of service, and routing stays the same there’s no reprice. In other words you can change the dates and times of the flights.

22. Flyer Fun says

I spent 270,000 3 FC flights BC w/long FC legs to Asia and one BC flight on EVA. What cannot figure out is how I have 170,000 miles left. It wasn’t so long ago when getting to 50,000 miles seemed like a daunting task.

To be honest, after I got over the shock of the FC devaluations on non-united metal, I realized that I could live with the other devaluations.

Still, I have moved much of my spending away from Chase Sapphire and Explorer to Amex Spg and Platinum. To get FC, I may have to transfer to NH, AC, TG, SQ, or OZ.

23. Steve says

I’d probably pick the most direct routing with the easiest flights to be found if my dates aren’t firmed.

24. Paul says

I booked a few award tickets, but am still sitting on 1.4 million miles. I guess I’ll have to reach out to Lucky for over the top trip, but between work trips and a few award tickets I’m out of time away from work to fly. It’s easier for me to accumulate miles than it is to burn!

25. Josh G says

So I have the following (70K MP miles)

LH C BOS-FRA
    TG F FRA-BKK

Was told and had documented that I will be able to move C=>F when LH F opens and change to the earlier BOS-FRA if F availability opens. Is this correct? Have agents names and supposedly record is notated.

26. Frank says

I made a rez in Biz for 240K miles $190USD in taxes and phone fee from DCA to MLE. Late last night. Agent was awesome. I was flexible on dates. Had issues with the SQ legs on pricing. They managed to do it. I have all my seats assigned online. Gonna be awesome. Now to book two more!!!

27. beachfan says

This delay actually hurt me big time. Wanted to leave on January 1, I have a booking in December (right routing but can’t go then) that I was going to take. As of Friday night, availability to do the outbound was there, but there wasn’t any return. Now no outbound until the January 5 (and no return available).

I probably should have booked two one ways, but I wanted a stop over on the return.

@ Josh G — They haven’t officially told us one way or another. But if you have the record notated that certainly helps…

29. Frank says

I should have stated 120K each for total of 240K and total of $190 in taxes.

Am considering doing the Cathay biz fare from MLE which would give 2 more trips to MLE. Or toss that and just do a big trip to Australia.

Every time I try to book USA-Europe-Australia, United gives error. Do you have to call for this? I’ve found flights.

30. Austin says

@Jonathan and @Lucky thanks for the response. What do you think is he strategy here? Get F on any other metal other than LH to the final destination and then change flights T14 in.

31. Mr. N says

Hi Lucky,

Any chance you know if there is a Lufthansa worldshop inside the First Class Terminal? Thanks

Hey Lucky, I booked a first class ticket to Paris from New York in United’s Global First, connecting in Frankfurt and then on with Lufthansa. Is there any chance of the First class terminal with this ticket? Thanks!

33. Cleangetawaytravel says

No, only business is offered on the FRA/CDG flight. I read your post, maybe next time. Thanks for your reply, and for all the info and tips. I am a newbie to miles collecting, but I haven’t paid for a flight in over 2 years, unless I was getting an unbelievable deal! Keep up the good work!