Marriott is running a pretty generous new member bonus, which apparently has been available since November 4, 2013, but I read about it for the first time on Loyalty Lobby today. The promotion page describes it about as simply as possible:
- Join Marriott Rewards and be automatically registered to earn your free night certificate
- Stay twice at participating hotels during your earning period*. Your earning period starts the day you enroll through the end of that month, plus an additional 120 days
- Earn a free night at a category 1 – 5 hotel after your 2nd paid stay
So if you stay twice within 4+ months you get a free night at a category one through five property. There doesn’t seem to be an expiration date for this offer as of now.
The full terms and conditions read as follows:
- This promotion is valid for new members who enroll in the Marriott Rewards® program on or after November 4, 2013.
- Your earning period starts the day you enroll through the end of that month, plus an additional 120 days.
- Make two paid stays at a participating Marriott® hotel during your earning period to receive a free night certificate at any participating Category 1-5 hotel.
- Stay at participating Marriott hotels, which include the following brands: JW Marriott®, EDITION®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® Hotels, AC Hotels by MarriottSM, Marriott Hotels & Resorts®, Courtyard by Marriott®, Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott®, SpringHill Suites by Marriott®, Residence Inn by Marriott®, TownePlace Suites by Marriott®, Gaylord Hotels® and Marriott Vacation Club® brands.
- Stays at our exclusive luxury hotel partner, The Ritz-Carlton®, will count toward achievement.
- A stay is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.
- Please note that this is an electronic certificate and will be automatically deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after completing two qualifying paid stays.
- Certificate must be redeemed within one year from the date of issue.
- Certificate is for a standard room type.
- You may use additional Marriott Rewards points to upgrade your room type, subject to availability. At participating Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites properties, Certificates are for a studio or one bedroom.
- Certificate is valid only in connection with individual travel and is not applicable to group travel, package tours, conventions or other special rates and/or package programs.
- Certificate may be used to pay for the expense of your room and related room taxes only.
- The Certificate may not be used to pay for food, beverages, service charges, other taxes or other incidental expenses.
- You will not earn Marriott Rewards points for room charges or room tax covered by the Certificate.
- The Certificate is good for one night, for one room only, and does not count toward Elite-level membership.
- Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit. Existing Marriott Rewards members are not eligible.
- For participating Category 1-5 locations, click here or call your local Customer Support office.
- Certificate must be used by the member.
- Certificate cannot be extended past expiration date or re-credited for Marriott Reward points.
- The Certificate is non-transferable and has no cash value.
- All reservations are subject to Marriott Rewards redemption availability.
- To verify your Free Night Certificate or other account information online, log in to your account at MarriottRewards.com.