On Thursday I wrote about IHG Rewards Club bringing back their “Big Win” promotion in 2014, for stays made January 1 through April 30, 2014. This was the promotion they ran for the first time last year, and a rather unique one since it offered members targeted bonuses for completing certain “tasks.” In theory I suppose offering targeted promotions is the future of loyalty programs, assuming it doesn’t come at the expense of alienating frequent customers (which is often what happens with targeted promotions, since loyalty programs feel they don’t need to reward already frequent customers as much when offering targeted promotions — and there’s definitely some truth to that).
Anyway, while IHG Rewards Club had revealed the basics of the promotion on Thursday, the website didn’t go live till this morning. If you go to this page and enter your IHG Rewards Club number and password you can see your “Big Win” offers for this year.
My “Big Win” promotion is for a total of 107,700 IHG Rewards Club points, which are earned as follows:
- Stay more and earn — stay a total of 7 nights and earn 9,200 points
- Explore our brands — stay at 3 different IHG brands and earn 17,600 points
- Start the day off right — book 1 stay through the Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast and earn 2,000 points
- Survey the win — complete a simple survey and earn 100 points
- IHG mobile app booking — Book 3 separate stays through our IHG app and earn 5,600 points
- Stay smart — stay at two Holiday Inn hotels and earn 8,000 points
- Authentic experiences — stay at three InterContinental Hotels & Resorts and earn 11,200 points
- Win big — complete seven of your offers and earn 54,000 points
So this has the potential to be a really lucrative promotion. If I stayed a total of seven nights — two at Holiday Inns, three at InterContinentals, and at least one at another brand, I’d qualify for the maximum bonus. 107,700 bonus points for seven nights is a total of over 15,000 bonus points per night, which is extremely generous.
I’m still not sure if I’ll go for it or not. I kind of have my hands full with Hyatt and Starwood. I was an InterContinental Royal Ambassador member for years, though one of my biggest frustrations with redeeming points in the program is that you don’t technically get elite benefits on reward nights, which isn’t especially “rewarding” if you ask me. Regardless, it’s likely to be the most generous promotion of the quarter, and can definitely be worth “mattress running” for.
What does your “Big Win” promotion look like?