BREAKING NEWS: EVA Air to launch “Hello Kitty” service to the US

This is quite possibly the most exciting news, since, well, Miley Cyrus’ performance at the VMA’s last night.

EVA Air joined the Star Alliance in June which was pretty exciting news, since they have a spectacular business class product on much of their longhaul fleet and tons of award availability as well.

EVA_Air_Royal_Laurel

But arguably the most exciting thing about EVA Air are their “Hello Kitty” flights, which presently only operate on select intra-Asia routes operated by A330s. I mean, everything about these flights is Hello Kitty, down to the toilet paper (no joke). Here’s a short CNN segment about the service:

It looks like EVA Air will be bringing us some Kitty love in the US, because as of September 18 they’ll be launching Hello Kitty service on one of their 777-300ERs flying to Los Angeles. Via Taiwan News:

EVA Airways, Taiwan’s second-largest carrier, said Monday that its new plane decorated with the popular Japanese cartoon character Hello Kitty will debut Sept. 18 serving travelers bound for Los Angeles. Unlike the previous five Hello Kitty places, which were all Airbus A330s, the launch marks the first Boeing 777-300ER plane featuring the cartoon cat.

Now, it’s not entirely clear to me how frequent the service will be. A single 777-300ER can’t fly roundtrip between Los Angeles and Taipei daily, so I’m not sure whether the service will be every other day or whether they plan on having more than one Hello Kitty 777-300ER. I hope they publish the schedule soon, because I’d certainly plan my next flight to Asia around the service.

I realize this is a pipe dream, but could you imagine if they had a Hello Kitty branded Rimowa amenity kit? I don’t know what I’d do with myself…

(Tip of the hat to Kevin)

Comments

1. Simon says

Freaking awesome! I took the one from ICN-TPE and the service was excellent. Not to mention I felt giggly the whole flight.

Is it bad that I’m even remotely thinking about taking a flight on the new HK773? What is my world coming to? Do they have Hello Kitty Dom though?? ;)

OMG, OMG, OMG … Ever since you started talking about this, catching a ride on the Hello Kitty jet has become my next great aspirational award redemption goal! Can’t wait to see your trip report on THIS :-D!

Ben..they have come up with amazing advancements in the world of mental health these days at hospitals….I’d be happy to schedule a meet and greet :) …..hehehe j/k

5. Dax says

This story is rather confusing without some sort of explanation as to what exactly is so appealing about this to a grown childless man. At first I thought it was tongue in cheek but you’ve mentioned it enough times that I’m starting to think you’re actually excited about this. I’m not saying it’s wrong or that it makes you a bad person. I’m just asking what makes something like this so appealing.

And lo. The mouthless cat claims another victim.

Yes, I’d be in for the fun factor… but a TPAC flight with the Kitty… That’s a touch long…

@ Dax — If the CNN segment doesn’t get you excited then I doubt I’ll be able to convince you. :D

8. nfamous says

Awesome! Something to look forward to on my drive home from work, or having a burger at In-N-Out.

9. Andrew B says

Too bad they don’t offer continuing service to JFK on the Kitty Loves Apples plane. They could market it as “Kitty Loves the Big Apple.”

10. Jorge says

I am dying to go now!

I want to fly on the Hello Kitty plane and get my Hello Kittie goodies. I would love to get a Rimowa with a Hello Kitty motive, that would be a killer if available ( hear me out, EVA air ! ).

And to my delight , land in Taipei and enjoy my favorite yet-to-visit lounge, “Tron Lounge”.

But Lucky, are you sure you are not going to be arrested by the mob after you called the airport a dump? ;-O

11. Sean says

Please continue to provide us updates regarding this Hello Kitty schedule. My wife would just die if I booked her a flight to or from Taiwan on a Hello Kitty plane.

12. Stuart Falk says

Can someone tell me, re U. S. Airways, if one buys miles (during their current promotion) using the U.S. Airways credit card, will it accrue at 2 points per dollar spent or is it processed by a third party?

13. Ivan Y says

That flight better have first-class and HK pajamas! I’m a guy, not a HK fanboy but still find possibility of FC passangers dressed in HK PJs pretty hilarious! :)

@ Stuart Falk — It’s processed by points.com, so wouldn’t count as an airline purchase.

Schedule is only shown on EVA Air website in Chinese: “…Starting September 20th, Hello Kitty Jet will fly from Taipei to Los Angeles on BR16 every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Also, it will fly from Los Angeles to Taipei on BR15 every Monday, Thursday and Saturday…” (Original in Chinese: 20日起固定飛航每週三、五、日BR16台北-洛杉磯,及每週一、四、六的BR15洛杉磯-台北航線)