It’s summer, which means it’s time to mention Phoenix hotels again…

I’m always looking for creative ways to live my transient lifestyle, whether it’s being the first permanent resident of the Lufthansa First Class Terminal in Frankfurt or moving to Tianjin, China.

Anyway, last summer I wrote about how ridiculously good hotel rates in Phoenix are in summer. Like most things, if something sounds too good to be true it probably is, and in this case there’s a reason no one goes to Phoenix in summer.

That being said, I’m committed to dining at Amy’s Baking Company this summer to enjoy one of her fresh, homemade pastas (hopefully served with a side of self righteousness), and I’ve been looking at hotel options. Hyatt and Starwood both have hotels for ~$60 per night, so I’ll likely be checking into multiple hotels each night.

But last summer I highlighted what a good value the Arizona Biltmore was, and it’s an even better value this summer.

I love the American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts and Virtuoso programs, which offer additional benefits at select luxury hotels. For example, American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts offers the following benefits at the Arizona Biltmore:

• Room upgrade upon arrival, when available
  • Daily continental breakfast for two
  • US$100 food and beverage credit to be used during your stay
  • Noon early check-in, upon availability
  • 4:00 pm guaranteed late check-out

And the nightly rate for much of the summer?

Arizona_Biltmore_Rates

Yep, so for a one night, $99 stay you get a room upgrade, daily breakfast, $100 food and beverage credit, early check-in, and late check-out. On top of all that I’m a Hilton Diamond member, so earn a good number of points for a stay as well.

The hotel is even running an offer for the third night free, so you’d be paying an average nightly rate of ~$67 if you chose to stay for that long.

Arizona_Biltmore_Benefits

That being said, even if you plan on staying three night it almost makes sense to book different reservations for each night so you get the $100 food and beverage credit each night, and forgo the free night. This requires two people staying, though, since you can’t otherwise book back-to-back nights and get the unique property amenity each day.

Anyone else tempted?

Comments

“I’m committed to dining at Amy’s Baking Company this summer…”

You’re committed to rewarding delusional assholes with money?

2. CP@YOW says

When they find out you’re a blogger, I suspect the reaction of ABC will be slightly different than that of the Boba people…

3. Be says

Maybe you need to tell the people who comment that you want insight instead of the type worthless comments that Dax, lucky and CP have posted.

4. ABC says

@ALCO, yes the potential of being abducted makes Mogadishu a much more attractive place.

5. Maybeshouldnitmentionbut says

What? no love for a weekend bounce between RC Phoenix and Dove Mountain to earn a free night at a tier3?

6. Jason says

Please don’t go eat at ABC, the curiosity helps keep them in business when they are clearly nuts.

Awesome ideas here, Ben! These are some amazing ways to maximize your travel dollar while scoring all types of bennies! I chuckled when I read you would check into more than one place a night, until I remembered I did the same thing last year to reap mad points during a family reunion! :-)

8. coalharbour says

Are there any bonus points promo for the hotels in the area? I recalled SPG had some crazy points bonus in the past.

9. Moises says

Ben,

Don’t stay at the Biltmore, beautiful exterior property with rooms in bad need of a renovation. Stay at the Westin Phoenix downtown… fabulous new hotel with great rooms and good elite recognition. Substitute Matt’s Big Breakfast for Amy’s baking company and maybe hotel hop over to the Sheraton downtown too.

@ Tao — Whoops, you’re right, sorry. Don’t see SPG below ~$70, but do see Hyatts for ~$60.

@ coalharbour — Yep, loved the promo last year, though don’t think there are any good ones right now, unfortunately.

12. james says

OK, I’ve now spent a good hour researching Amy’s – of all the food reality shows, that’s the only one we don’t watch. My life is now complete!

13. The Mystery Traveler says

I’m going up to Scottsdale in a few weeks. Will take advantage of the Ritz Carlton promo for a likely trip to Maui later, as the more expensive Ritz properties for the promo are Kapalua and Moscow.

14. James says

Speaking of desert benefits, had you seen this?
    “Present your Titanium, Platinum, Premium or World MasterCard* and enjoy privileged access to the following airport lounges:

Cairo: First Class Lounge and Exclusive Service Lounge
    Dammam: First Class Lounge in the international terminal
    Dubai: Marhaba Lounges (T1 and T3)
    Jeddah: First Class Lounge in the international terminal
    Kuwait: Pearl Lounge
    Riyadh: Premier Lounge in the international terminal
    Amman: Crown Lounge, Queen Alia International Airport

Cardholders can enter with two children under 12 years of age.”

(scroll to bottom)

15. Jan says

I agree. Don’t actually sleep at the Biltmore. As a Hilton Diamond over New Years we had an awful room. The restaurant is ok though

16. jerri says

hi lucky
    when you say check into the phoenix biltmore for 3 nights with 2 people – is that 1 person for 1 night, then the other person, then the first person again?

17. Tom says

Hi Ben if you make to Phoenix an have any sort of a meet up let me know. I am a native an work in the Biltmore area. Tom

Staying in Scottsdale right now at the Marriott McDowell Mountain going through Pointshound to get Marriott points, platinum status benies, and doubledipping for AA miles. We ate at the Pita Jungle (really good food, highly recommend) and walked by Amy’s on the way there (a couple of doors down). Absolutely no one in the place, but could see Sammy at the register. Weather not so bad, yes hot during the day, but really pleasant at night and the price is certainly right. And Marriott upgraded us to a nice suite for the 4 nights we’re here.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, if you got to Restaurant.com, they have some certificates for the Hyatt restaurants which could be quite useful and Living Social has a spa package also for the Hyatt.

20. Dax says

“@ Dax — It’s a bit like a car crash — you want to look away but you can’t.”

@ Lucky – Look all you want, even point and laugh if you desire, but please don’t give them any money. Even your bizarre fascination with Honey Boo Boo was easier to swallow than this. Those people may be nuttier than a fruitcake, but they strike me as relatively harmless. Amy? No, she’s borderline evil.

21. Mike says

Was wondering if you had any tips or suggestions on which room/location of the hotel to stay at Arizona Biltmore? Any restaurant recommendations at the resort? Any other tips/tricks to know? I already booked 3 separate nights through virtuoso to receive their perks.

Thanks!

1. [...] News and notes from around the interweb: Where the money goes: How reimbursable business travel expenses break down My American Airlines Android App updated. It now lets me view the upgrade list on day of departure, and the problem of boarding passes not showing up sometimes after taking first flight is obviated by the ‘boarding pass’ function. No more need to take screen shots of my boarding passes. Amidst US Airways and American agreeing to mollify European regulators by giving up its Philadelphia – London Heathrow flight, it’s worth remembering that American itself used to fly Philadelphia – London, having purchased the right from TWA which it later acquired, and competing against the US Airways-British Airways partnership.. now merging with the former and in a joint business venture with the latter! “Confused? You won’t be, after this week’s episode of…Soap.” Make money by staying at the Arizona Biltmore [...]