Chase Ink Bold/Plus limited time 60,000 point sign-up bonus: frequently asked questions

In the interest of full disclosure, I may earn a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. They’re all for the best publicly available offers for each card. Please check out my advertising policy for further details, and thanks for your support!

UPDATE – LIMITED TIME OFFER IS BACK

Links:

Chase is offering a sign-up bonus of 60,000 Ultimate Rewards points on the Ink Bold and Ink Plus cards after spending $5,000 within three months. While the annual fee is a reasonable $95, it’s waived the first year. The normal sign-up bonus on the card is 50,000 points, and I consider that to be the best sign-up bonus out there to begin with, so this is a spectacular bonus, the highest we’ve ever publicly seen on the card. I’ve received lots of questions about the cards, so I figured I’d answer some of the most frequently asked ones here.

Which card is easier to get approved for — the Ink Bold or Ink Plus?

The Ink Bold is a charge card, which means the balance has to be paid off in full each month. Meanwhile the Ink Plus is a credit card, meaning you can finance charges over time. That means in theory the Ink Bold should be easier to be approved for, given that it’s lower risk to Chase (since you can’t finance charges).

What other cards should I apply for at the same time as the Ink Bold/Plus?

If you’re going to apply for multiple cards it usually makes sense to do so on the same day, as the impact of the credit inquiry (which is only a couple of points) on your credit score is usually delayed a bit. As a result, here are a few other cards I’d consider applying for at the same time as the Ink Bold/Plus:

• Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card — This is a pretty obvious companion to the Chase Ink Bold/Plus. With a 40,000 point sign-up bonus (plus an additional 5,000 Ultimate Rewards points when you add an authorized user to the card that makes a purchase within three months.), you’re looking at well over 100,000 points between applying for this and the Chase Ink Bold or Chase Ink Plus card once minimum spend is factored in. The card also accrues double points on all dining and travel, so is a great complement.
  • The Enhanced Business Gold Rewards Card® from American Express OPEN — This is still a very good sign-up bonus, and anecdotally I find it to be one of the easiest business credit cards to get approved for.
  • Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard® — Sadly the days of 50,000 mile sign-up bonuses on Citi AAdvantage credit cards is dead, but 40,000 miles is nothing to sneeze at.
  • The Lufthansa Premier Miles & More World MasterCard® — This is yet another limited time sign-up offer, for a total of 50,000 miles after spending $5,000 within 90 days. If used strategically these miles can be very valuable.
  • Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard® — This is a travel rewards cash back credit card, and the sign-up bonus earned after spending $1,000 within 90 days essentially earns you $440 in travel “credit,” which is a great offer.
  • Alaska Airlines Signature Visa Card — Currently they’re offering a 30,000 mile sign-up bonus, and given the fact that you earn the miles upon account activation, that’s a pretty great deal.

For more ideas for cards to sign-up for, check out my my post on the 10 best credit card offers for June.

Do I need to have a tax ID in order to apply?

Nope, you don’t have to have a company with a tax ID to apply. Any business (even a side business) would make you eligible. As far as the application goes, for the legal name of the business, put whatever you’d like, whether that be your name or something else. For the tax ID just put your social security number. Be honest about the type of business, income, etc. They’re not typically opposed to giving credit to start ups or businesses with limited income.

I have one/two/free/four/five Chase personal credit cards — will I be approved for a Chase business card?

Whether you have one, two, three, four, or more Chase personal cards, keep in mind that Chase processes business applications separately. So while everyone’s individual situation varies (income, credit score, number of open accounts, credit utilization, etc.), it’s very possible to be approved for a Chase business card even if they won’t necessarily approve you for another personal card.

I already have the Ink Bold — can I be approved for the Ink Plus as well (or vice versa)?

Yep, it’s possibly to have both of these cards at the same time, and even earn the sign-up bonus on both cards. It’s worth noting that in November 2011 Chase rebranded the Ink Bold card, and completely changed up the benefits. As a result if you have the previous version of the card you can be approved for the new one since it’s considered a new product, and you’d even be eligible for the sign-up bonus. I’ve applied for the only Chase Ink Bold, the new Chase Ink Bold, and the Chase Ink Plus.

Is it possible to be approved for both the Ink Bold and Ink Plus at the same time?

Typically no. It makes sense to wait 30 days between Chase business applications. Some may have luck being approved sooner, though the vast majority of data points suggest getting approved for more than one Chase business application within a month isn’t possible.

I applied for the Ink Bold/Plus in the past. Can I be matched for the higher offer?

It appears as if Chase will match the better offer for those that have applied in the past ~90 or so days. At least that seems to be the case for those that have shared their experiences with me. So that’s great news for anyone that signed up for the card recently.

If anyone has any other questions I didn’t cover above, let me know in the comments section and I’ll do what I can to help!

Editorial Note: Neither this post, nor the comments, are provided nor commissioned by the Issuing bank, or any other advertiser. The comments below have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any advertiser, and it is not the bank or advertiser's responsibility to ensure posts and/or questions are answered.

Comments

1. Jake from MSP says

Hi Lucky,

I was hoping you could elaborate for us new card holders who have applied in the last 90 days or less. Personally, I’ve only spent about 3500 on it so far, so I haven’t received the signup bonus. Would you suggest people in my shoes wait to hit the 5K spend before asking and sprint for the 5K spend before the time window closed? Or perhaps just ask now?

Much thanks!

Applied and received Chase Southwest premeir on 2/2013 and Chase Southwest premeir business on 3/2013.
    Applied on 4/2013 for Chase ink and chase sapphire with both denied even after calling reconsideration line. Denied for several reasons. Any recourse on getting ink bold or sapphire?
    Credit Kharma 698
    Credit Sesame 717

3. Alon says

So I have a Chase Bold card from ~1 year ago and want the 60K bonus so I applied for the Plus card this morning. Of course I got the “we’ll let you know in 10 days” message so I called the Business Reconsideration line which usually expedites these things. They said that due to Small Business Week generating so many applications, they were unable to expedite and I would have to wait for my letter :(

4. Miles says

@Rick, I think your scores are too low to be approved for any cards with a worthwhile bonus. You should do whatever needs to be done to push them up above ~730 before applying again. Good luck!

5. Tim2 says

I applied for the ink plus almost 4 months ago how can I go about asking for the bold? I mean most do it the other way around and say they want to carry a ballace.

6. Nun says

Why are you writing the following about Ink? I thought business application inquiries do not show up on your credit report — only personal card applications.

>> “If you’re going to apply for multiple cards it usually makes sense to do so on the same day, as the impact of the credit inquiry (which is only a couple of points) on your credit score is usually delayed a bit.”

7. Kimmyannangel says

I applied for the Ink Bold (50,000′point offer) in May and so when the 60,000 point offer came I PMed Chase and asked for the bump to the higher bonus. I got an email today matching the higher offer at my request. So it looks like all you have to do is ask. I have not met the spending requirement, so don’t worry about that. Good luck!

8. Linda T says

I just did an AOR (all personal cards) on May 31, but did not apply for any Chase products. Is it wise to consider applying for one of these this soon after that? Mostly concerned about the spend since I have other spend projects in the mix. But, is this recent set of inquiries likely to matter or not?

9. arnab says

Just got the Ink plus…actually I applied last week – few days ago before this offer started, but called them and they agreed to extend the offer…one question though – when i first use my card in office supply stores, will the purchase earn me 5X additional points or it will just count towards the first $5000 spend? In other words, will I earn any additional points until the $5000 spend requirement is fulfilled?

@ Jake from MSP — I’d definitely ask now. Send Chase a secure message with a link to the better off and ask if they’ll match it, and they should be able to notate your account accordingly. Definitely do that before the promotion ends.

@ Rick — Shorty of applying again not really anything you can do. Frankly with your scores I’d hold off for a bit and let a few inquiries fall off your report (assuming you’ve applied for lots of cards lately), as you typically want a score of at least 730 or so to apply for Chase cards.

@ Shawn Doherty — You could call, though I always think it’s easier to send a secure message so you have it in writing.

@ Tim2 — Since the Ink Bold is a charge card it doesn’t have any pre-set spending limits, so can make sense for larger purchases. Furthermore, if you’re currently close to maxing out the bonus categories, having the other card could make sense as well.

@ Nun — As Tim2 said, the inquiry does indeed show up on your credit score, it’s just the utilization and credit line that doesn’t show up on your personal score.

@ Linda T — Assuming none were Chase and you have a good credit score, I don’t think you should have any issues. While the idea of applying for multiple cards on one day makes sense, I think it’s over emphasized sometimes, because a two point hit from an inquiry on a single card won’t materially change your credit “situation.”

@ arnab — Yep, you earn the 5x points on those purchases from the first dollar you spend. You don’t have to fulfill the minimum spend first.

17. John says

At the bottom of the application, it’s asking me to certify that “I agree this is a business account and shall only be used for business purposes and not for personal, family or household use.”

Does that mean I need to be able to meet the spending requirement with only actual business spending? My side business unfortunately doesn’t have nearly that much spending (and certainly doesn’t involve AP or VR…)

I’d love to apply for these but not sure how to get around making that certification requirement

@ John — In practice they have no way of knowing what’s business spend and what’s personal spend. The reason they’re making you agree to that is because business cards come with slightly less consumer protection (in terms of disclosures they have to provide), so they’re just covering their rears by making you agree to that.

19. John says

@lucky Thanks for the reply – I think that makes some sense, but it still seems like by clicking that box you’re intentionally and clearly making false statements on the application, and the beauty of the miles hobby has always been that everything is within the terms and conditions. Anything I’m missing or is it just a matter of being willing to ignore that fact?

@ John — If it’s not something you’re comfortable with that makes perfect sense. I only put business spend on the card so it’s not something I’ve ever had issues with.

21. John says

@lucky Fair enough – thanks – think the ol’ conscience will keep me out of this lucrative one then

22. Shawn says

Applied for the Citi Platinum Master arc and Ink Bold last night. Immediately approved for citi card and was put on hold for the Ink. Called the reconsideration line today was asked. Bunch of questions – which I answered honestly. All about my PLANS for the coming year. Have no revs yet so to speak of. Was Approved by them in 5 minutes! Both should yield about 110,000 points/miles total.

23. NotUnusual says

As another data point. I signed up for the Ink Plus about 30-45 days ago for the 50,000 point offer. I sent Chase a secure message and while they couldn’t/wouldn’t switch my offer but did put 10,000 points in my account which posted instantly. The whole process from me sending them a message to the points posting took less than an hour.

Could be that I already hit the spend threshold even though the 50,000 bonus points have yet to post (statement is still open).

24. Paul says

Just received my card tonight and they confirmed I signed up for the 50k points. I asked about the 60k and they bumped me up!

25. Simon says

@NotUnusual +1. I got the Ink Bold in April – sent a Secure Message last night, and this morning the additional 10k UR points were in my account :)