My Chase Sapphire 7% annual points dividend posted!

In the interest of full disclosure, I earn a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that I have found for each card. Please check out my advertiser policy for further details about my partners, including American Express, and thanks for your support!

UPDATE: The 7% annual points dividend is no longer a feature of the Sapphire Preferred Card, see current offer for full terms.

I’ve received several questions over the past couple of months about when Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (in the interest of full disclosure that’s my affiliate link) annual points dividend posts. For those of you not aware of the benefit, if you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred card you earn a 7% “bonus” at the beginning of the year for all points earned through spend the previous year. Given that the card already offers double points on dining and travel, that’s like earning 2.14 Ultimate Rewards points per dollar spent on dining and travel, and 1.07 Ultimate Rewards point per dollar spent on everything else, which is a pretty awesome return. These points can be transferred to Hyatt, United, etc.

Anyway, the 7% bonus is supposed to post with your February statement. Since mine just closed, it looks like my bonus just posted.

I put my money (or at least reimbursable expenses) where my mouth is. As you can see I put a fair bit of spend on the Chase Sapphire Preferred, and it’s nice to get that bonus for the previous year’s spending.

Editorial Note: Neither this post, nor the comments, are provided by the Issuing bank, or any other advertiser. The comments below have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any advertiser, and it is not the bank or advertiser's responsibility to ensure posts and/or questions are answered.

Comments

1. Jason says

Been looking forward to that posting. Probably won’t be as robust as yours though, lol. Thanks for the update Lucky.

2. mike says

How do you have so many points/miles to fly nonstop almost everyday but only earn 7k on your annual bonus?
    What’s your secret? :)
    I barely fly, I don’t do giftcards and those other stuff but got 11,197.

3. Jason says

I’m sure he spreads points around to other cards, and uses this almost entirely for non airline travel expenses and dining. So, almost $50k dining out and on Taxi/Parking/Rental Cars… seems pretty good.

@ Mike — That’s only one of several cards I use. I’ve earned about three times as many points last year on the Chase Ink cards.

5. clayd333 says

Anyone know about the Ink Bold (old school) annual dividend? Been waiting patiently (not really) for it…

6. RakSiam says

Doesn’t the bonus also apply to the sign up bonus and UR mall bonus points, etc? So it’s not just on basic spend right?

7. Joe says

Chase is a mess. They gave me 8,000+ points on 112k earned but had no idea on how either of those numbers came up. I then asked for an “adjustment” because I wasn’t comfortable with how they were calculating, but they said no.

Still, pretty good – almost got entire fee refunded.

8. Levy Flight says

HI Ben, Why do you use Ink more? Would have thought the Sapphires travel benefits were better. Most of my spend goes there, Ink I bearly use.

9. dbeach says

Mine posted on my most recent statement as well. I had been under the impression that the signup bonus did not count in terms of the dividend, but at least in my case it apparently did.

@ clayd333 — You mean the tier bonuses? Don’t think they’re offering that anymore.

@ RakSiam — Correct, at least that was the case until recently.

@ Levy Flight — I have earned more Ultimate Rewards points through the Ink because I was able to sign up for two versions of the card and earn 5x points in many categories.

11. MiaT says

And I thought there was a 10k extra UR points on top of the dividend if annual spend hit over 30k which I did? Can someone pls confirm this or am I dreaming it all up?

@ MiaT — Are you talking about the Chase Sapphire Preferred? If so, there’s no such bonus I know of unfortunately. The American Express Premier Rewards Gold card offers 15,000 bonus points when you spend $30,000 on the card in a year, though.