Probably a good time to apply for the US Airways Barclay Mastercard before it goes bye bye…

Up until today I’ve been telling everyone looking to apply for a US Airways credit card to not go through my affiliate link and instead use an offer that was out there for 40,000 Dividend Miles after the first purchase with no annual fee for the first year. The terms and conditions suggested it was only intended for Chairman’s Preferred members, though it seemed to work for everyone, at least up until today. As a matter of fact I was just working on a post for this evening about how to maximize credit cards with the “new American,” and applying for that card was going to be one of my suggestions. However, as of this morning that link seems to be expired, as I get the following message when following the link:

I figured we’d have a bit more time before they change credit card offers, though maybe that’s not the case, and I guess I can understand why.

Anyway, it seems like the best available sign-up bonus for The US Airways® Premier World MasterCard® is now for 40,000 Dividend Miles after the first purchase, though the $89 annual fee isn’t waived. I doubt we’ll see the other deal return, so this is probably as good as it gets.

Keep in mind that this card probably has a very limited life, given that the “new American” will have to choose between Citi and Barclay. It seems that American’s relationship with Citi is much stronger than US Airways’ relationship with Barclay, so I think it goes without saying that the Citi co-branded card will survive while the Barclay card will get the boot. Furthermore, AAdvantage will be the surviving loyalty program, so I think that makes the choice even more obvious.

Anyway, this is very much a “use it or lose it” situation. I’m not sure how much longer Barclay will offer a sign-up bonus on this card given that they may only be able to keep these customers for another few months. This is much more complicated than the United and Continental merger where both airlines already had their co-branded credit cards with Chase, so “converting” customers was easy. Credit card companies offer sign-up bonuses in hopes of earning long term business, and the reality is that any new members likely won’t be sticking around for very long since the card will be discontinued in a matter of months.

Also keep in mind that this card is churnable to some extent. Many report being able to apply for this card as often as every 90 days, though reports are very mixed on this. Some have no problem being approved for a US Airways card when they already have one, while others are rejected, so it very much is a case of “your mileage may vary.”

Anyway, if you don’t yet have The US Airways® Premier World MasterCard® this is probably a good time to apply for it and claim your 40,000 bonus miles before it’s too late. In the interest of full disclosure that’s also my affiliate link, which is also for the best available bonus I know of for the card.

(Tip of the hat to The Points Guy)

Comments

1. Scott M. says

Okay, how can you churn this by applying every 90 days? I got one a couple of months ago, back when the merger was not a definite thing. I wouldn’t mind getting another before the merger, if that is possible.

2. bludevil says

This may be a stupid question, but theoretically, one could apply for this card, get the US Airways miles and then transfer them to AAdvantage once that is allowed, right?

3. Diamond Vargas says

@ Richard — I don’t ever like the idea of purchasing miles, but in my mind 0.22¢ per mile for the upfront fee is worth it in this instance. Hopefully still around in another month after my 15k miles post from one of those ongoing 3-month spend bonuses on my current card — will cancel and re-apply within the few weeks after that.

4. DBest says

Diamond, its not really 0.22¢ per mile, because the publicly available offer from Barclay’s own website provides 30k miles with the first year fee waived. So the incremental cost of the extra 10k miles is really ($89/10000) 0.89¢ per mile. Still not a bad deal…

@ Richard — You don’t value 40,000 US Airways miles at $89?

@ Randall — Unfortunately that’s the best business card offer I know of.

@ Scott M. — Many report applying again and then getting approved either instantly or by phone (by explaining a second card is wanted to separate business expenses from personal expenses, for example).

@ bludevil — Correct, once the points become transferable you could do that.

I am a Silver Preferred member and this offer was still available in my account so I applied today and got approved. The offer is 30K with first purchase and 10k anniversary bonus. The fee was also waived for the first year.

@ Jeff — That offer is a bit different than the one that was initially available for Chairman’s Preferred, which was 40K after the first purchase and a 10K anniversary bonus.

My bigger concern would be that I doubt the card will be around for another year, so I wouldn’t be too confident about getting the anniversary bonus.

8. Coutureguy says

Does anyone know if Barclays will approve applications for the consumer and business cards at the same time?

9. Dan says

Man… I was thinking about applying under the old offer. Oh well. But 40,000 “AA” miles are definitely worth $89 in my book.

10. Richard says

My point here is, is it worth spending $89 to acquire 40,000 miles? Because if I apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred for example, I will get 43,000 UR points after I spend $3000 by buying 6 $500 Vanilla Reload for the cost of $3.95 x 6 = $23.70. It is even better with the 50,000 miles United MP Explorer offer for only $1000 spending.

@ Richard — Right, absolutely, there are more lucrative sign-up bonuses out there, but:
    a) Many of us have already applied for the best offers out there
    b) The Chase Sapphire Preferred will probably still be around with a sign-up bonus next year, while this card probably won’t be

12. Brian L. says

@Richard – You’d have to spend $3000 to get those 43,000 UR points. With the US card, you’d have to spend the $89 annual fee, plus maybe $1 on a candy bar or something.

13. Jason says

For those of you looking to churn, I just did and it worked!

I got the US Airways MC about 6 months ago and received 60,00 miles. I decided to try it again since it is about to end at it worked with instant approval.

14. JH says

Thanks Lucky for information. Just apply one for me and one for my wife. Got instant approval for each one of us. Hoping when it is merged with American Airlines FF, we will have enough point to claim those coveted Cathay Airlines F/B class :). Thanks again for the posting.

15. Angela says

Lucky, I found other offer link, 35k bonus with fee waived. Would you still recommend 40k with $89 annual fee?

16. Jorge says

I think that those US Airways buy/transfer promotions are now history.

But if I am wrong, would you consider buying US Airways miles knowing that they will end up as AAdvantage miles?

And sooo sad the Glam Slam is history as well. I enjoyed it so much… :-(

@ Angela — Mind sharing the link? You’d be getting an extra 5,000 miles for $89, which is about 1.8 cents per mile. That would be about the breakeven cost for me.