In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, not those of the bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Please check out my advertiser policy for further details about our partners, including American Express, Chase, and Citi, and thanks for your support!
Update: This offer for The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN is expired, but there’s currently an opportunity to earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $5,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Learn more about the special offer here.
UPDATE: This offer is expired. You can find the best current offers here.
I realize I’m a bit late to the game on this, though better late than never I suppose. That’s the joy of flying 25,000 miles in a few days and trying to catch up.
Through Monday, January 28, American Express is offering a 75,000 Membership Rewards point sign-up bonus on the Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN after spending $10,000 on the card within four months.
Ordinarily this card doesn’t come with any sign-up bonus, though they do occasionally run one-day, 75,000 point promotional sign-up bonuses on the card like this one. The only difference is in this case the increased bonus lasts for a week and not a day.
This card is essentially the business equivalent of the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, and offers the following benefits:
• LIMITED TIME OFFER: Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend $10,000 in the first 4 months of Card membership.
• 3X points on airfare
• 2x points on purchases in the U.S. for advertising in select media, gasoline at U.S. stand-alone gas stations, and shipping
• 1X points on other purchases
• Points are earned only on eligible purchases. Bonus points limitations apply.
• $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $175
• Introductory annual fee for Additional Gold Cards in the first year is $0; then, $50 for the first Additional Gold Card and no fee for other Additional Cards
• Terms & Restrictions Apply. Offer expires January 28th, 2013.
Admittedly $10,000 of spend is a big threshold to reach, though between Amazon Payments and other ways to manufacture spend it shouldn’t be too tough to reach.
And while I wasn’t feeling too great about the value of Membership Rewards points a year or so ago due to the partners they lost and devaluations of some of their partner programs, they’ve gone up in value considerably for me lately, given that they can now be redeemed for Singapore Suites Class, just about the most aspirational airline product out there. After flying in Singapore Suites last week and having a double bed all to myself, I’m not sure how I can ever go back.
If I didn’t already have the card I’d certainly be taking advantage of this, for what it’s worth…