In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
While I greatly value both airline miles and hotel points, I find hotel points more valuable for holiday travel. That’s because airlines release very little award space over the holidays, while hotel chains like Starwood have no blackout dates on award redemptions, and let you redeem Starpoints for stays as long as a standard room is available.
Points can even be used for a stay around New Years in cities like London and Sydney, where rates are usually through the roof that time of year. It’s one of my favorite things about hotel points, actually.
For example, take a look at the rates at the Westin Sydney for late next December:
As you can see, you can redeem either 12,000 Starpoints per night or pay 750AUD (~780USD) per night. As if that’s not awesome enough, you even get the fifth night free when redeeming Starpoints for a “free nights” stay.
Or take a look at the Park Lane Hotel, which is 306GPB (~595USD) per night with tax, or 12,000 Starpoints per night:
In anticipation of that, the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express is sponsoring a giveaway for 25,000 Starpoints that you can use towards your holiday hotel stays next year.
How to enter:
You can enter this giveaway through both Twitter and the blog, and you’re allowed one entry per method per day:
To enter on Twitter:
1. Follow @OneMileataTime on Twitter.
2. Tweet your answer to the question “What Starwood property do you think is an amazing value on points this time of year?” Be sure you include both @OneMileataTime and the hashtag #SPGAMEX in the Tweet
3. You can Tweet me once per calendar day (let’s define that as 12:00AM EDT till 11:59PM EDT), and the contest will run through 11:59PM EDT on Sunday, December 30.
For example, an eligible Tweet would be:
@OneMileataTime I’d redeem for two nights at the Westin Sydney #SPGAMEX
To enter on the blog:
1. Leave a comment on this post answering the question “What Starwood property do you think is an amazing value on points this time of year?”
3. You can comment once per calendar day (let’s define that as 12:00AM EDT till 11:59PM EDT), and the contest will run through 11:59PM EDT on Sunday, December 30.
For example, an eligible post would be:
I’d redeem for two nights at the Westin Sydney
While I won’t post the full four pages of terms and conditions, the basics are that you have to be at least 18 years old and have an SPG account to be eligible to win. The winner will also have to complete a W9 (ARV of prize is $625). If anyone needs any clarification, feel free to email me.
Picking a winner:
A winner will be picked at random within a week of the end of the giveaway. Each eligible Tweet and comment counts as one entry, so the more days you enter, the better your chance of winning.
Good luck and happy holidays!