British Airways Chase Visa 100,000 Avios sign-up bonus is back (with $20,000 minimum spend requirement)!

UPDATE: This promotion has ended

Through February 27, 2013, the Chase British Airways Visa Signature® Card is offering a sign-up bonus of up to 100,000 Avios, similar to the promotion they ran earlier in the year.

The bonus structure is as follows:

• You will get 50,000 bonus Avios after $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.
  • 25,000 bonus Avios after $10,000 in purchases within the first year of account opening.
  • Plus an additional 25,000 bonus Avios after you make an additional $10,000 in purchases also within the first year of account opening.

My thoughts remain exactly the same as the previous time I posted about the offer, so feel free to check out this post. While the minimum spend is very high, with a companion certificate this card can definitely be worth it. Just be ready for the extremely high fuel surcharges for travel on British Airways and some of their partners.

Comments

@ wolfgang — It’s a personal card so you can’t apply as a business. With Chase you typically have to wait either till they change the “product” or ~36 months before you can earn the bonus again.

2. Karl Mitchell says

This is excellent news. I’ve been waiting for the return of the 100k sign-up bonus, and hoping it would align with year start. I will actually use the companion pass, for first class LAX-LHR, and so I will get excellent value from this.

3. Lily says

I have applied on May 2011 when there is a 100K bonus with no minimum spending limit and before BA switch to avois. Do you think this is a new product so I can earn the bonus again?

4. James says

How long is the companion valid for? Assume I get the card Jan 1, 2013 and hit $30k say on June 1, 2013…when will the companion ticket be good for?

@ Lily — They don’t consider it a new product, so you’re stuck waiting a couple more years unfortunately.

@ James — The companion certificate is valid for two years from when it’s issued.

6. Lawrence says

Anyone have any actual experience getting their money’s worth? Seems like the chances to actually get to use this on an itinerary when you want to go is pretty slim. The taxes/fuel surcharges can be pretty high too right?

@ Lawrence — Availability is actually quite good, it’s the fuel surcharges that are the killer for many. Expect to pay $1,000+ roundtrip per person in addition to the miles.

8. Karl Mitchell says

@ Lawrence – To me, the best dollar value in this deal is in collecting all 100k plus the companion ticket and spending it on a first or, failing that, business class redemption US to UK.

Personally I collect miles and points for more aspirational awards, and to me, BA offers one of the better classes of service from where I fly (LAX) to the UK, as well as excellent availability even at higher classes of service. The alternatives to the UK are Air New Zealand (excellent product, terrible availability), Virgin Atlantic (excellent product, but similar fees), United (good availability, inferior product) and American (fair availability, inferior product). Unless United or American improve their products, which may happen with the Dreamliner, I still consider BA First and Virgin UC to be reasonable value propositions, despite the hefty fuel surcharges and large airport duties (the latter applying to all airlines). The high availability and convenience of being able to transfer either MR or UR points is also a big bonus.

So, YES, I feel I get my money’s worth on aspirational flights from the US to the UK. Otherwise, you’re probably better served collecting the 100k miles for $20k spend, and using them on direct short haul flights in the Americas, for which BA’s award chart is pretty generous.

9. T3pleShot says

Parents with lap infants can eke out a bit more value from BA awards because BA charges 10% of mileage + 10% of taxes/surcharges for the lap infant. This is better than other airlines like UA that charge 10% of full fare in the class you are travelling for the infant.

I recently redeemed US to south asia for 2 adults + 1 lap infant in business.

Cost for 1 adult award = 200k + $1600 (gulp)

With the companion voucher, cost for 2 adults + 1 lap infant = 200k avios + $1600 + $1600 + 20k avios + $160.

All in all, it costed 200k miles + $3400. not the best redemption, but I saw it as an upgrade from economy to business for 200k avios.

We completed the onward journey and boy, was I glad to be in business class full flat seats when travelling with our 8 month kid :)

10. BrewerSEA says

Can two members of a household sign up for this card and earn 200k into a Household Account? This is a pretty tempting card to just throw my rent on for a year…

11. Bruce Jones says

Be aware, the cards CHASE is currently sending out with an embedded security chip will not work with most merchants in Argentina. The merchant will get an error “Chip or Call” which they will have no idea what to do about and you will be stuck unable to use the card. I’m there now and it SUCKS.

@ Karl Mitchell
    In reply to your comment on the best way to spend those 100k…

I don’t thing cross atlantic or any european flights are worth it because of the huge airport taxes (50% of a paid ticket)

I regularly use my british miles on American Airline flights between Miami & New York!

It’s only 7,500 miles + 2.50 USD per flight!!!

13. George says

I have use the companion voucher and my partner and I traveled in First / Club Europe last summer, it was sublime. I did not have an issue with the fuel surcharges because it is still a LOT less than laying for a First Class Ticket. Also, IMHO, it isn’t worth using the voucher unless you do it for a 1st or CW redemption, as it maximizes the value of the voucher.

I now earned another one and we plan to use it this winter.