Aeroplan offering up to a 26.6666666667% bonus on points transfers from other programs through December 17, 2012

Through December 17, 2012, Aeroplan is offering tiered bonuses for points transfers from other programs, as follows:

The bonuses are based on the cumulative total of transferred points, so you can transfer points from multiple sources and have them count towards the total. You can see all the eligible transfer partners above, and you’ll notice that one of the few partners not included is American Express Membership Rewards, which is unfortunate. The bonus points should post within 7-10 days of the points transferring to an Aeroplan account.

For example, through this promotion 160,000 Starpoints would net you 240,000 Aeroplan miles. Starwood offers a 5,000 point bonus for every 20,000 points transferred, so 160,000 Starpoints typically nets you 200,000 Aeroplan miles. Then through this promotion you’d get the 40,000 bonus miles, for a total of 1.5 Aeroplan miles per Starpoint. I value Aeroplan miles at roughly 1.3 cents each and Starpoints at roughly 2.2 cents each, so that’s not a rate at which I’d make a transfer unless I had a specific great use in mind. You can also reasonably efficiently transfer Marriott Rewards points to Aeroplan through one of their travel packages, but even then I think there are better transfer options overall.

This promotion is still worth knowing about if you’re in a situation where you were going to make a transfer to Aeroplan.

(Tip of the hat to Gary)

Comments

@ Sunny — Not 100% sure on that. I’d guess yes, though it’s just a guess. If anyone has any insight I’d love to hear.

2. Ken says

There is a minor miscalculation on your post, lucky.
    120,000 SPG->150,000 Aeroplan(Maximum)+40,000 Transfer Bonus = 190,000 Aeroplan
    So 1.583..Aeroplan miles per starpoints.
    Any transfer more than 120K starpoints would lower maximum tranfer efficiency.

3. PopcornFlying says

@Sunny – yes, I transferred WorldPoints the last time they ran this promotion, and got the bonus.

4. PopcornFlying says

5. bluto says

@sunny worldpoints work. I did this last year with them and got a bonus. I plan to do it again this year.

6. Victor says

I’ve been searching forever to find a method of transferring my World Points to Aeroplan and I haven’t been able to find a link or even a mention of Aeroplan on BoA’s website. Any help finding the mythical beast would be appreciated

7. Guo says

How to maximize my 15000 World Points.. I transferred 5000 points to Aeroplan yesterday. Are these gonna happen?

1. I will receive 1000 bonus miles by 11/29/2012.
    2. I transfer another 10000 World Points on 11/30/2012.
    3. I receive another 2000 bonus miles by 12/10/2012.

8. Jordan says

any idea why they excluded AMEX this time. It was included the last few times and I transferred 100,000.