Austrian (re)launching 5x weekly service between Vienna and Chicago as of May 17, 2013!

Austrian has announced that Chicago will be their next North American destination, as they’ll be launching 5x weekly service as of May 17, 2013.

The flights will operate the following schedule:

Austrian 65 Vienna to Chicago departing at 10:25AM and arriving at 1:40PM
Austrian 66 Chicago to Vienna departing at 4:00PM and arriving at 8:40AM (+1 day)

The flight will be operated by a 767 configured with their new business class, which should be a phenomenal product. Austrian has always been known for excellent catering, so I’d say with the new seat it may just be the best transatlantic business class product.

While the flights have been loaded into the GDS I don’t yet see them in Starnet, so I’m not sure what award availability will be like. That being said Austrian has excellent award availability for next summer on the whole, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see that also be the case on this route once the space is loaded.

Comments

1. gregorygrady says

Absolutely classic YouTube video webazoid. Funniest Hitler spoof I’ve ever seen……by far!!! Well done!!!

2. Amit k says

Lucky

If I wanted to get to Male on a united busness award from IAH could I do this: IAH to Chicago to Vienna to Male. I know tyrlolean airlines goes to male twice weekly but I can’t find any biz class sears from Vienna or Istanbul to make in biz next may-July. Any suggestions? Thanks so much

@ webazoid — ROFL!

@ Amit k — I don’t think the Austrian service operates that time of year, though I’m seeing some Turkish space. Have you checked space with them?

4. JM says

Lucky – I have an award flight on Austrian from DC next summer. I would like to change it to Chicago once award space gets published. Will I be charged a fee to change my routing if my origin and destination remain the same?

5. craz says

those new OS seats look exactly like LXs (both carriers are owned by LH)

I found LXs seats to be very narrow and hard. I would think OSs wont be any different thusly they will be better then LHs but Id take a UA PMCO 777 any day over LX or OS. Seatwise and IFE wise.

But the new seats are a great deal better then what OS has had till now, and UA doesnt fly NS to VIE. So it would mean flying wherever UA ha sits 777 PMCO flying into and connecting to VIE

I may do OS for the Inbound but for the better seat = sleep Id rather take UA with the PMCO 777

@ JM — With which airline did you book? If you booked with United you wouldn’t be charged a fee, while if you booked with Aeroplan or US Airways you would be charged a fee.

7. Jacob says

I can confirm I will be on the new Austrian service to Chicago in September of next year. Just booked flights. Award availibility wasn’t bad. I found 4 seats in business class

8. JM says

Lucky – I booked with United, so will change if I can. However, I’m flying on a Thursday and it appears that Austrian has blocked award seats (or at least award seats to United) on Tuesdays and Thursdays for some reason (I’m looking at July 2013). Do you know why that might be?

9. Austrian says

Looks like one of the newspaper’s I read was not joking when they said that Austrian Airlines is going to launch the Vienna-Chicago by 2013. If this is true than that means Austrian will launch flights to Newark and Los Angeles in 2013 as well. :)