US Global Entry members now eligible to use SmartGate in Australia

Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check are two programs that have made the travel experience so much more pleasant for frequent travelers over the past couple of years. Through Global Entry you can simply use a kiosk when arriving back in the US instead of talking to an immigration officer, and don’t have to fill out the landing card. It’s a huge time saver, and has probably saved me dozens of hours over the past 18 months I’ve had it.

Now on a trial basis US Global Entry members that are 16 years of age or older can use SmartGate in Australia, which allows passengers to self-process through immigration. You can find out more about SmartGate here. It’s currently available at the following Australian airports: Adelaide, Brisbane, Cairns, Darwin, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney.

Can’t wait to try this out the next time I’m in Australia!

Comments

1. Mark says

I can confirm this is not working at MEL as of this morning. Swiped my GE-registered passport and got a please see agent. Agent had heard of it but didn’t think it was working in MEL yet.

2. Peter says

SmartGate only seems to work about half the time for me (as an Australian passport holder). However, when it doesn’t work the queue for the it-didn’t-work-line is only about half as long as the regular line for Australians and New Zealanders.

3. David says

@Mark – it is certainly activated for the US but if the name on your passport does not 100% match the name and details entered when you got your ETA (middle names and all), you will get to talk to an agent.

4. TroyG says

Sweet – as an American expat in Aus, dating a New Zealander, way too many trips through immigration. This will make it much easier. Thanks for the news! (Of course, I’m now wondering if I need to get my passport redone… I just renewed it, and somehow they stretched the picture 10-20% vertically. Given Smart Gate uses facial recognition, that COULD be a problem… LOL)

5. Adam says

I went through at MEL yesterday with my wife. She got through no problem, I got a message to go see an agent. Either way, it got me to the front of the line (or I guess I should say queue) so it was still a quick process.

6. Vincent says

It’s ridiculous, it’s meant to be reciprocal but I don’t see the Americans letting us use Global Entry!

7. David says

@Vincent – the statement made by Janet Napolitano and Jason Clare on 7 May indicates that the US is looking to expand Global Entry to Australians. I would expect it will operate on a similar model to that used by the Germans.

8. Vincent says

@David – I’m not surprised the Americans got to use SmartGate before we get to use Global Entry though. Hopefully we’ll get it sooner than later…