Just a quick reminder that American Express’ month-long 40% transfer bonus from Membership Rewards to British Airways Executive Club ends on Thursday, September 27. Through this promotion you get 1,400 Avios for every 1,000 Membership Rewards points you transfer, with no limits.
In my previous post I shared my thoughts as to whether it’s worth worth making a points transfer with this promotion or not. This isn’t actually the biggest transfer bonus we’ve seen, as American Express has offered 50% transfer bonuses in the past. British Airways is in a unique position when it comes to their relationship with credit card companies, as their co-branded credit card is with Chase yet they also belong to American Express Membership Rewards. So I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more British Airways transfer bonuses, maybe even bigger than this one. Though of course it’s no guarantee.
While I have a few hundred thousand Avios, I’m still tempted to transfer some more points from American Express Membership Rewards. Here are a few redemptions that tempt me:
- 36,000 Membership Rewards points (50,000 Avios) gets you roundtrip business class on Cathay Pacific between Vancouver and New York. My brother lives in New York and I’m considering moving to Seattle, so that would be an awfully comfortable way to travel between the two cities. I also love the flight times in both directions, as they’re both redeyes.
- 36,000 Membership Rewards points (50,000 Avios) gets you roundtrip business class on Aer Lingus between Boston and Dublin/Shannon. I did this over summer and really enjoyed Ireland, so am very tempted to do this again. Where else can you get roundtrip business class to Europe for just 36,000 Membership Rewards points?
- 36,000 Membership Rewards points (50,000 Avios) gets you roundtrip business class on LAN between Miami and Lima. LAN has a great fully flat business class product, and I’d probably add on flights to Machu Picchu for just 4,500 Avios each way, and stay at the Tambo del Inka, which is a Starwood Luxury Collection property I’ve heard amazing things about.
- 58,000 Membership Rewards points (80,000 Avios) gets you roundtrip business class on Air Berlin between New York and Germany. While Air Berlin’s business class may not be the best out there, you can’t beat the fact that they’re not imposing fuel surcharges right now.
Anyway, those are just some redemptions that interest me, and keep in mind that coach is available on all the above itineraries for half the miles. Some other interesting options which can’t be beat:
- 18,000 Membership Rewards points (25,000 Avios) gets you roundtrip coach between the west coast and Hawaii
- 7,000 Membership Rewards points (9,000 Avios) gets you roundtrip coach for one-way distances of less than 650 miles
- 11,000 Membership Rewards points (15,000 Avios) gets you roundtrip coach for one-way distances of less than 1,151 miles
While I’m not usually for making speculative mileage transfers, Avios are extremely valuable under certain circumstances, so if you don’t have a big Avios balance it may make sense to speculatively transfer some points.