Basics of redeeming Hyatt Gold Passport points for suite awards

There are two things I absolutely love about Hyatt Gold Passport points. First of all, they have very reasonable redemption rates for their highest end hotels, especially Park Hyatts. Even their top hotels are only 22,000 points per night, which is an absolute bargain. The other thing I love about Gold Passport is that it’s possible to redeem points for suite awards at a very reasonable cost.

Starwood charges a minimum of double points for suite awards, and Priority Club doesn’t let you redeem for suites at any cost. That’s why I think Hyatt’s program is so great, since they let you redeem for suites at roughly a 50% premium over a standard room.

First, as a reference point, here are the number of points needed per night in a standard room:

Then here are the number of points needed per night in a suite:

As you can see that equates to roughly a 50% premium.

There are only two major restrictions when it comes to redeeming for suite awards:

• You can only redeem for suite awards for stays that are a minimum of three nights.
  • You can’t redeem suite awards at the following properties: Hyatt Regency Kyoto, Hyatt Regency Paris-Madeleine, Park Hyatt Sydney, Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort, Hyatt Residence Club Resorts and Hyatt Place hotels.

Aside from that, it’s as straightforward as it sounds. Suite awards typically book into the most basic suite offered by the hotel, though can vary sometimes. Another benefit of this is that sometimes standard rooms aren’t available so you can’t book it on points, while suites are available.

To find out what a hotel’s entry level suite is, go to the hotel’s homepage and click on “Rooms & Rates,” which will bring up a listing of all the room types at that property. Here’s the page for the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome, for example. As you can see in this case, the entry level suite is the Park Suite King, so that’s what you’d book into on a suite award stay.

You can see which category a hotel is in by clicking on the category numbers on this page.

Here are just a few examples of great suite award redemptions:

8,000 points per night for a Regency Suite at the Hyatt Regency Kathmandu (usually ~$640USD per night)

12,000 points per night for an Executive Suite at the Grand Hyatt Santiago (usually ~$450USD per night)

33,000 points per night for a Park Suite at the Park Hyatt Tokyo (usually ~$1,950USD per night)

33,000 points per night for a Park Suite at the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome (usually ~$1,150 per night)

33,000 points per night for a Park Suite at the Park Hyatt Moscow (usually ~$1,450 per night)

Anyway, perhaps you’re noticing a common theme here, which is that a suite night redemption at just about every Park Hyatt (and at many lower end hotels) is a phenomenal value. ;)

Comments

1. ArizonaGuy says

How do you use upgrade awards? The section on upgrades has a link that takes me to the standard award booking. Do I have to call for upgrades?

@ ArizonaGuy — You have to call Gold Passport to redeem both upgrade awards and suite awards.

@ triplover08 — It doesn’t, though you can redeem points for a club upgrade as well.

4. Hayden says

I recently tried to book a suite award and was told that only Hyatt Passport members with a certain status were allowed to book suites solely with points.

5. mac says

I read this post from a suite in a hyatt. Made me laugh.

Lucky have you seen the new room keys given to diamonds – so cool.

6. Christoph says

You can also send an email to Gold Passport to request an upgrade to a suite. Just did so for a stay at the Bali Hyatt. A real bargain at only 8000 points per night. :-)

7. Travis Swanson says

Although most suites do not offer club access, some do. For an example, the Hyatt Regency Kathmandu did for 8k points a night. What a deal it was!

8. Valerie says

Can I use points to upgrade to a suite when redeeming hyatt chase card free night cert?

9. Hayden says

Just called back. Scratch my previous comment. You CAN book suites no matter what status you hold, as long as you have the points.

I’d venture to say I misheard my previous call, but the agent was adamant that I could not book a suite wholly with points and in fact didn’t let me book a free suite night (which is why my reservation is now at an Embassy Suites).

On a quasi-related note, has it been just my experience, or is Hyatt customer service wildly inconsistent?

10. beachfan says

Are all the suites true suites (separate bedroom with a door) or at some hotels do you get junior suites?

11. Douze Notations says

@Lucky, Does the Bali Hyatt have suites. They list two types of suites under “Rooms & Rates,” but I can’t seem to find availability when booking. I called Gold Passport and they simply referred to the Club rooms as suites, and I think they’re just confused. Any thoughts?

12. Goosh says

Currently have 4 nights booked at the Park Hyatt Tokyo, but am debating whether or not I should just book a standard room and use a suite upgrade. I just can’t decide. It’s basically pay 132,000 points or $2400 and a free suite upgrade. Any thoughts from anyone?

13. Chas says

@beachfan

Depends on the property. For example both Andaz properties in NYC are notorious for labeling as suites rooms that aren’t truly such (merely larger rooms).

14. Chas says

@Goosh

Depends on your valuation of GP points. If you use Lucky’s 1.6 cents/point, you come out roughly even ($2112 vs. $2080 ($2400 – value of pts earned on the stay assuming you are diamond and using Hyatt CC)). Also can take into account the less tangible value of the suite u/g and/or stay credit if paying $.

Personally I value GP points at a bit more than Lucky does, so I would take the cash + u/g option hands down if I were you, but your valuation may differ.

@ mac — Haven’t seen it yet! Similar to the SPG Platinum card holder?

@ Christoph — Yep, the Bali Hyatt is another great use!

@ Valerie — Unfortunately you can only use points to upgrade stays paid with cash.

@ Hayden — I’ve actually found them to be quite good, though perhaps it’s because I’m a Diamond?

@ beachfan — Unfortunately they aren’t all “true” suites, as many are just large executive rooms/junior suites. That’s why it pays to check the individual hotel sites and see the description of the room you’d be upgraded to.

@ Douze Notations — The upgrade would be to a Regency Suite King at that hotel.

@ Goosh — Chas’ analysis is spot on. It’s right near the breakeven point, in my opinion.

17. Douze Notations says

@lucky. Thanks! So I can theoretically book the Regency Suite King for 8k points per night. They didn’t seem to offer this when I called Gold Passport. Should I be calling another number?

@ Douze Notations — I suggest calling back and talking to a different agent. First be sure they’re actually selling Regency Suite Kings for the day you’re looking at going. The cost should be 8K per night (with a minimum of three nights).

19. Douze Notations says

@lucky – Thanks for the tip! I called back and it turns out that the Suite is not available for one of the nights. I’ll resort to redeeming one of their club rooms since it seems to be a fairly decent redemption rate. Thanks a bunch for this awesome tip though.

20. mohamed b says

I ve always been a guest at IHG and now that i discover all these benefit i wonder what a waste of money its been with priority club,as you said lucky no redemption gor suites,the devalued their points recently,they increase the cist of purchase,and being royal ambassador its always hit or miss to get a suite,and whatever amount you spend on intercontinental no extra points,my question on what basis you earn points with hyatt?

21. David says

@mohamed

Honestly, most of my Hyatt points are earned using Chase Ultimate Rewards credit cards. And being a Hyatt Diamond member is nice b/c they treat $ stays like award stays…with full benefits. However, you won’t get the free minibar or “WOW” suite upgrades with Hyatt like IC, but Hyatt is more consistent. I have had non-elites being super impressed by the room service breakfast at the Andaz 5th Avenue, but my sister was amazed at the free minibar at the Intercontinental NY. It all depends on the person…

22. James H says

Is it possible to check award room availability on line without having enough points in the account? I would like to make sure that the room is available before transferring my Ultimate Reward Points.

@ James H — There isn’t, though if a standard room is available you can redeem points for it. Just look at the hotel’s listing of room types to see what they consider to be the standard room.

24. User Name says

I’m looking at the Hyatt Regency Clearwater.

On the room list the first room type that has the word ‘suite’ in it is the last one (theoretically the most expensive) and the description lists it as 1600 sq fet with two bedrooms. This seems huge.

There are also (much lower down the list) ‘Premium 1 BR King’, which looks like a suite to me although it doesn’t have the word ‘suite’ in it.

Any ideas which room type a suite award would book into?

The ‘Premium 1BR King’ looks good enough, but I suppose the standard award would book into the lowest room type, the ‘Premium King’, which doesn’t have a seperate bedroom.

@ User Name — There are some exceptions, and this is likely one of them. I’d call Gold Passport to be sure, though I think you’d book into the premium one bedroom king.

26. dave says

I had a question about Park Hyatt. Are they considered as Standard Room or Regency/Grand Club category?