How to get a flight attendant’s contact information after the fact?

I suspect I’m in the minority here in desperately wanting a flight attendant’s contact information without creepy intent.

I wrote about my AMAZING Singapore Airlines flight a couple of days ago, and I figured the smile would eventually be wiped off my face. Well, after having a couple of days to think it over, I’ve decided that out of the two million “butt in seat” miles I’ve flown (I just turned 22 — how sad is that?), this was the best flight of my life by a mile. The crazy thing is that Monday, the day of my flight, was one of the worst days for me in recent memory due to some issues I was dealing with, so when I boarded the Singapore Airlines flight I kind of said to myself “great, I’ll sleep it off and hopefully feel better,” but I didn’t actually think my frown would turn into a smile in a matter of minutes. It’s funny how things happen sometimes.

Not only was it a great flight, but Wong Chin, the amazing flight attendant, kind of inspired me. I’m not into sharing good deeds (it kind of ruins the “goodness” of them if they’re talked about, in my opinion), but I’ve already found myself trying to apply the “Wong Chin” method in a couple of ways. Either way, I now have her card on my desk, and it has made me smile the past two mornings.

However, I’m now mildly depressed by the fact that I didn’t get her contact information. Actually, I kind of think I did, but I can’t find it, which is even worse. It was a redeye so I was rather tired and not on top of my game, but as I disembarked I distinctly remember Wong Chin saying to me “I hope to hear from you soon, Mr. Lucky.” To me that suggests she actually gave me her contact information, but the life of me I can’t find it. She gave me several sheets of paper with info about the flight, the name of the crewmembers (upon my request), etc., but I can’t seem to find it.

While I’ve already written Singapore Airlines to compliment her on the best flight of my life, that’s not enough. I’d love to be able to send her flowers or something, but for the life of me I can’t find her contact information. Heck, more than anything else I’d love to get on another one of her flights.

Guess I’m totally screwed?

Boy, does this post sound creepy. Sorry for rambling…

Comments

1. hobo13 says

Clearly, you need to fly a SQ flight every day for the next month to increase your chances.

I’ve known of guys who did crazier things to ‘bump’ into a pretty girl again…..

2. You sound creepy says

Yea…you sound awfully creepy…and lonely, but good luck :)

Cheers.

@ jyflyer — Nope, Wong Chin was her first name. Last name is the same as a certain month of the year (after April and before June).

LOL! Reminds me of how I got my first date with my fiancee. I was too drunk to ask for her number at the bar, so I stalked her office before finally asking a friend of a friend to forward my contact info to her.

5. A. S. says

I’m sure that many will slam you here for being creepy. Personally, I think that if your intentions are noble (i.e, you don’t want to “stalk” her), then it’s not creepy! Every man has jumped through hoops at least once in his life to get a girl’s number (or attention). :) I just worry that if you get married to this girl and settle down you’ll stop blogging. Please, man, don’t let that happen. That’s what happened to me and now I live my life vicariously through you. I’m begging you… You don’t know what it’s like to see a mistake fare of $300 in First class from Asia to anywhere in the world and stare at the screen in tears, not able to buy it, because your wife will have your balls… The only solace is looking into my little girl’s eyes and knowing that there’s a little mileage junkie in there waiting to grow up!

6. Lark says

Interesting concept….

At my favorite bars, I’ll go on a night when a bartender I like is working…

Restaurant, the same – I’ll ask if “Jim” or “Jill” is working and aske to be seated in their section.

Imagine if you could see in advance who your flight crew would be, and make that a criteria for which flight you selected?

7. LarryInNYC says

Best wishes for whatever it is that you’re dealing with. Hope it gets better soon.

@ Greg — Looking at it as I type. Wong Chin [month after April and before June].

9. WD says

I have a feeling her last name is Wong as that is a much more common last name for Asians.

10. Coutureguy says

@A.S.- LOL. But next time you find such a mistake fare, can you let me know please? ;-)

@Lucky- I guess you could contact Singapore Airline’s VP of Customer Service or another manager-type. They might not give you her contact info, but would probably forward the gift to her. Btw, you have the cleanest office desk I’ve ever seen! I’m jealous.

11. collector says

I’m pretty sure Wong is her last name. It’s a Chinese surname (duh] of Cantonese dialect group. East Asian displays family name (surname) first, followed by given name.

12. offtheglass says

lucky, while I don’t think it’s possible to get her contact officially, your best bet is to fly SQ again and ask any flight attendant kindly. My cousins used to work as FA and they are more than happy to help each other and it’s not uncommon for FAs to go beyond just one flight. As a matter of fact, that’s how my cousin met her husband.

If your friend flies SQ, I’d ask if he/she can ask a fellow FA (I’d go for a female who can be ‘romantic’ :) and explains how desperately you’d like to thank her. I’d write a card and include a photo of yourself so that when Ms. May receives your card, she knows what to do.

Wong Chin is definitely her first and middle name as in Asia it’s very common to call someone with both first and middle name together. In Hong-Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, month like last name is pretty common too.

Good times, man!

A long time reader, but I can’t believe my first comment would be like this.

13. Singapore Flyer says

@collector – I agree that it is Cantonese, but it could also be her given name as Lucky has mentioned that she does have a last name.

14. Nancy says

You don’t sound creepy at all. Creepy was the guy sitting behind me on SQ12 who would not leave the flight attendent alone after her telling him very politely that she wasn’t interested. (I was very tempted to set the guy straight just so I didn’t have to listen to his pathetic attempts.) May Wong Chin was interested so…..empty all your bags & look through your trash & I’m certain her contact info. will turn up.

15. collector says

@Singapore flyer
    Being an ethnic Chinese who speaks Cantonese, I’m 99.99% sure that Wong is her last name, Chin May is her given name. Her Chinese name could likely be
    黄x美(chin is the more difficult one to decipher…)

16. Singapore Flyer says

Left a message with my cousin to find out if she knows your FA. She flies the SG – JFK and SG – Europe flights.

17. Singapore Flyer says

@collector, as am I, but I just going with how she would have introduced herself to Lucky. She wouldn’t have given her surname and half of her given name. That would be incredibly awkward..if it was a mainland name with two characters, then I would agree that Wong is probably her surname.

18. ucipass says

This is so cool, I love reading this blog. The disillusioned side of me hope that you don’t fake this to generate more traffic…..

Keep us posted on this!!!!!!!!

19. Singapore Flyer says

@simon…good one. Janesis was on the card…couldn’t make out what that was. @collector – looks like you are correct.

20. Andy Bleuebar says

Somewhere out there, Wong Chin is writing her own blog entitled “How to get a customer’s contact information after the fact?”

21. Brian says

I guess it depends on why you want the information. Do you just want to send her flowers, or are you wanting to ask her out on a date or something? Facebook is probably the best, and just be upfront about why you are asking.

22. collector says

@Singapore flyer, i was about to guess she might very well be from Malaysia or Hong Kong, as most Singapore-born females will just use their western names..I guess Simon was a step ahead confirming my hunch…

@ Brian — Just send her flowers or a gift or something. Trust me, I have no interest in pursuing her.

@ chuck — I guess you could say that. I have five wives, and I was hoping for a sixth. How does that make me a sick bastard?

25. Tim says

Very creepy. You already wrote SQ to compliment her. That’s enough. Anything more starts to be stalking. Let it go.

26. pieces says

@lucky – Was she hot?

Serious question.

Also, were any of the above profiles the right one?

27. Josh G says

Nothing creepy or to be ashamed of here. I’d tread lightly and perhaps SQ would offer to provide Lucky’s info to the FA so she can follow up if interested.

28. mathlete says

It is a little creepy and unwarranted, although I believe you have the best of intentions. She is in a service profession, and happens to be very good at her job. That does not mean she wants her job following her outside of work. While she may be naturally enthusiastic about taking care of passengers, it is no doubt exhausting. Any attempt to extend the relationship outside of a plane, even if only briefly, is like asking her to work when she’s off the clock.

29. YVR604miler says

It almost sounds like you’re chasing her for love but I know you are not for obvious reason.

I’m sure if you have provided feedback to SQ customer service, they’ll find the right Wong Chin to relay your appreciation and/or a gift you are intending to send. Why don’t you just include your business card with your gift so there’s always an opportunity for the person on the receving end to contact you back. You have the flight date, flight number and her name. There’s no way SQ cannot locate her. This way you’re not being creepy!

It’s creepy that people are able to locate her various online profile…be it facebook or multiply or whatever sites. But then again, there is no such thing as privacy online!

Good Luck with this nice gesture you are doing … and good luck with the issue you are having. I have a pretty good idea what it is. You’ll find a new one, maybe on your next flight ;)

30. Apu says

A. S., very well said…I sent your nice comment up to my wife and colleagues… it so sums up my situation perfectly! Thanks for wording it :)

Thanks to all of you for your help!

@ pieces — Sure, like most “Singapore girls” she was attractive. Unfortunately I don’t think any of the profiles above are correct (though I could be wrong, though obviously they look a bit different when they’re in their full uniform).

@ mathlete — Yes, except she said “I hope to hear from you,” so…

@ Chad — ROFLMAO!

32. Ripper3785 says

Hope you are taking into consideration that her being identified here could potentially result in her receiving unwanted attention.

33. stef says

“Hey, I just met you. And this is crazy. But here’s my number. So call me maybe?!?”

34. Sash says

Hate to rain on your parade and further confuse you but i am Almost 100% certain her last name cannot be May. I do not believe May is a proper Asian surname. Wong chin is probably her last name / maiden name combo. It could have been chin wong perhaps? May should be her first name, and even so it could have been spelled Mei…

35. Dax says

Funny and amusing post.

When someone fawns all over me I actually consider it a huge turnoff, but this girl really seems to have made an impression on you.

Yeah it may sound a little odd, but in this era of extreme suspicion virtually anything a grown man does can be considered creepy in somebody’s eyes.

If you ask average folks how they became couples it’s not unusual to hear some really creepy tales from time to time that have long since been forgotten or at least forgiven.

I guess all is fair in love and war, right?

This is going to be post number fifty and yet I don’t think anyone has asked you about the part where you said this was one of the “worst days…in recent memory due to some issues I was dealing with.”

I know we’re all just a bunch of travel minded strangers passing through an ethereal travel blog, but if you don’t mind my asking is everything alright?

36. Caesar says

Lucky, As much as I enjoy your blog, your lack of professionalism, or for that matter common sense and good judgement in this instance is jarring. You should not have posted the FAs name here. You’ve crossed the line.
    Caesar

37. Sean M. says

Ignore the naysayers. Some of the best friends (and random hook-ups) I’ve made have been FAs. If someone made an impression on you, follow up and see what happens. It is no different than going back to the same Starbucks or similar just because they give you great service. If she doesn’t want to communicate back, she won’t. But it won’t be for lack of your effort.

38. booyah says

My GF and I have been together for 6 years and she has been flying with NH for a few years and numerous times while we have been together, she will come home with flowers, business cards, dinner certificates, i love you cards, you name it. They usually get sent to her manager or HQ and eventually make their way on to yahoo shopping japan or brand off but none the less, i commend you. Just dont do anything over the top cause she could always have a partner and she might be having a laugh with her boyfriend. just trying to keep it real.

39. hkgnyc says

Now, see, I don’t really want to say this but I think someone should.

Just because she said “Hope to hear from you” doesn’t necessarily mean that she “Hopes to hear from you”.

You *have* already been nice in writing to SQ. If your intentions are truly as stated, personally I would stop now.

40. Vladone says

@caesar: I second that
    @lucky: your last name is a strong internet lead. She would easily find your blog and read your post. Things get messier if her partner is into reading travel blogs.
    Your articles rock! Good luck!

41. Ann says

Since-judging by your blog alone you’re not some crazy stalker-wanting to send her flowers is sweet.

42. Antonio C says

I’ll be in Singapore in a couple of months for 2 weeks. If I can help on anything just let me know.

43. Uniter says

I’m reminded of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry starts dating his maid and she stops cleaning when she comes over his apartment. I can see Lucky dating this girl, and service in F class when he flies with her starts to decline a little… Best not to mix business with pleasure.

44. L says

It’s interesting how many people here think you’re a creep for wanting to thank her for cheering up when you were feeling down.

I think you have good intentions and it’s not everyday that people are appreciated for their hard work.

A little bit of unwarranted advice: Flowers (or chocolate) might come off the wrong way because they have a romantic connotation. A card seems appropriate (maybe with some stickers also haha).

45. jz says

Managed to find her?
    I can help…I have friends working in SQ.
    I can help u ask around to locate her.

46. UTA says

similar situation…flight on May 8 (United-7am from HLN, MT)but do NOT want to invade this flight attendant’s space or privacy…(she has enuf going on as it is!)…so what to do?

47. UTA says

similar situation…flight on May 8 (United Express (Skywest) 7am from Helena, MT) but do NOT want to invade this flight attendant’s space or privacy…I had to make a correction to the flight details…can any-one help me?

48. Chin May says

Hi everyone,
    Here I am. Thank you very much for all the comments. The multiply blog.. Yes its me! I almost forgot about the shirt… I get to know all of you here thru a kind colleague information. Inspiring others is what keep my passion at work and in life.
    I love meeting people all around the world. That is why I choose this job as my career. I believe helping others help myself as well. What goes around will come around…
    I strongly believe the saying, “Some people come into your life as blessings, and others come into your life as lessons.”
    Im just a very simple lady striving to be a kind and compassion human being and inspiring people (Thats what my parent thought me) I meet around the world like the famous motivational speaker “Nick Vujicic”. Rest assured everyone here…Mr Lucky found me right now and right here:)
    Peace and love,
    May.

49. Cory says

Is your office set up that way to make it look like you’ve got a killer view from a corner office?

50. Roland says

What is up with that photo, Ben? It looks like that’s the view outside your window, it took me half a minute to finally get that it was your wallpaper screen instead ;)

51. JW says

I have a similar experience with a sweet FA about 3 months ago. How I hate myself for not being smart and fast enough to ask for her contact details before I alight from the plane. I even forgot her name and I do not know how am I going to locate her. Can someone help me? I still have the flight date and route though.

52. shaghayegh says

it happened 2me 2 but in soudi airline flight 2854.the worst thing is that i dont know his name. :(
    i searched everywhere but still nothing.
    how can i find him?