American Express Membership Rewards has just announced that they’ll be offering a 50% bonus on transfers to British Airways Executive Club through May 31, 2012. Unlike some bonuses which are limited to one transfer or have the bonus post 6-8 weeks later, this one is actually built into the transfer ratio, meaning you can transfer as many times as you’d like and get the full bonus immediately.
While British Airways did substantially devalue the redemption options for North America based flyers back in November, there are still some awards that can be a great value, some of which are outlined here.
Should you speculatively transfer points from Membership Rewards to British Airways just to take advantage of this bonus? I’d say no. But if you have a specific use in mind, this can be an excellent deal. Some of my favorite redemption options are as follows (priced for roundtrip travel and factoring in the 50% bonus):
- 34,000 Membership Rewards points for Cathay Pacific business class between New York and Vancouver
- 18,000 Membership Rewards points for coach on Alaska or American between the west coast and Hawaii
- 34,000 Membership Rewards points for LAN business class between Miami and Lima
- 6,000 Membership Rewards points for coach flights of less than 650 miles
- 34,000 Membership Rewards points for American business class between New York and Los Angeles/San Francisco
There are lots of great deals to be had, though like I said, transfer only with a specific use in mind. Points transfers are instant and this promotion runs for a couple of months, so there’s no point in transferring prematurely.
(Tip of the hat to Steven)