1. Parks and Recreation. Does United really have to show this east, west, south, and north? All four mainline flights had the pilot episode. Sorry Amy, you’re not funny.
2. Passengers that chew tobacco. Especially when they’re sitting next to you.
3. Embraer 120’s. If anyone disagrees with me, sorry, I won’t be able to hear you because I lost my hearing on this aircraft. 😉
4. Pilots that use “ah” every second word. “Ah…. folks…. ah…. from…. ah…. the…. ah…. flight…. ah…. deck this is…. ah…. your…. ah…. Captain.” Usually there are only a few “ah’s” here and there, but the captain of United 44 last night added an “ah” after basically every word for his whole announcement. Figured you’d have the routine figured out by the time you’re a 767 captain.
5. Passengers that complain about the lack of frills in coach. This alone is a reason I’m considering not booking the exit row anymore. While the main added benefit of Economy Plus is extra legroom, the fact that most people up there fly more than once every couple of years is kind of nice too. When you’re in the exit row on United, seated right behind you are the once a year flyers. Why? Because anyone that reserves row 12 on the ex-Ted A320 obviously booked their ticket 11 months ago.
Nothing pisses me off more than a whole row of passengers doing nothing but bitching like the guy seated behind me on UA99 to TPA this morning did. “They want to charge us for our bags, how dare they. I heard we should just take all our bags to the gate and they’ll check them there for free.” And then, “Huh, I have to pay extra to sit in the exit row? Are you kidding me?” Of course the flight attendant explaining the situation to him followed by “but I only work here” didn’t help either. Those are only minor complaints, but c’mon folks, travel in the past few years is as cheap as it has ever been. For our $29 fares we deserve respect and good customer service, but that’s about it. I probably wouldn’t have an issue with this if I didn’t fly 250 segments a year and had to hear the same idiotic complaints every single time.