I just got off a Northwest flight from Tampa to Detroit, and wanted to post some quick thoughts:
- I was on a DC9, which is one ancient bird. When I peaked into the cockpit I really thought I was in some aviation museum.
- All three flight attendants had AFA pins on. For those of you that don’t know, the AFA is the flight attendant union, and I’m guessing this has something to do with Delta, given that their flight attendants aren’t unionized, but Northwest’s are (as of now).
- There was one old(er) male flight attendant that was sweating like crazy and kept touching his soaking wet hair as he was preparing the drink cart without ever washing his hands. Furthermore, as he dumped out the bucket with the ice from the last flight in the lavatory sink, the ice scooper totally touched the lavatory handle more than once. Eeek!
- The seatbelt sign never went off and there was no announcement from the cockpit until just before landing.
- For dinner in first class they had cold chicken with pasta or a turkey sandwich. I went with the pasta. Back when Northwest was Northwest, they’d have hot food, but this was still pretty tasty and perfectly adequate for a two hour flight.
- The guy sitting across from me was totally wasted. As we landed he asked me for the time and then asked me where I was connecting to. Eh….? Of course there was more to him being wasted, but I found that to be an odd interaction.