As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I have a pretty sweet first class Star Alliance award planned thanks to Aeroplan. The first part of that award is Tampa to Chicago, and fortunately it was scheduled to be a 757 with first class award availability. Awesome, no Ted!
Well, today I checked my award, and whaddya know, my TPA-ORD flight shows as being a “32S,” more commonly known as Ted. No first class, so they just rebooked me in coach. Jeez, thanks for letting me know about the downgrade, United/Aeroplan!
This is a substitution I don’t understand. At the very least I would have expected them to sub in an ex-Ted 320 with first class, given how quickly the Ted fleet is shrinking.
Tomorrow I’ll give the schedule changes department at Aeroplan a ring, and I’m faced with a few options, as I see it:
- Keep the current 9:09AM TPA-ORD flight in coach (no thanks)
- Get United to rebook me on the later TPA-ORD flight in coach, which leaves at 11:12AM. There’s currently no award inventory, but I’m sure they’d open it up in this case. This is kind of nice since I’d get to sleep in a bit, given that I’ll be connecting to Zurich, London, and Istanbul the same day.
- Book TPA-CLT-ORD on USAirways in first class
- Book TPA-DCA on USAirways and DCA-ORD on United in first class
- Book TPA-IAD on United on United in coach, and try to get on the new 767 in first class by requesting that they open up space (unlikely but possible). This would require a 6AM TPA-IAD flight, though.
None of these options are ideal, especially considering how long of a day it’ll be and that I’d rather sleep in.
Thoughts? Which option would you go with, or is there another option I’m overlooking?