Yes yes, I know, talk is cheap, but my interest is official. I just sent my status match request to Northwest (more commonly known as Northworst), and plan on doing a bit of flying with them in the future. For those of you that think I’ve totally, absolutely, lost any ounce of brain power I might at one point have had (or not), here’s why:
- It’s basically a “free” match, at least I’m guessing it will be. Generally status matches are once in a lifetime, but since DL/NW are merging, using my once in a lifetime NW status match isn’t going to cost me anything in the future, since I assume I’ll still be able to match to DL sometime down the road.
- NW seems to match to Platinum status (their top tier), and I think it’s a nice option to have, since it’ll be good through February of 2010. Regardless of how the merger turns out, I assume I’ll at least get Delta Platinum for a while through this, and DL has a huge presence in TPA
- NW still has the 125% redeemable mile bonus for Platinum members, which CO recently scrapped. No promise that it’ll stick around, but it’s there for now.
- As far as I can tell, upgrades are easy as heck on NW as a Plat, especially with my travel patterns. Best of all, you can upgrade a companion with you, and they clear at your upgrade window. Finally I have something more than Ted to show for all my travels.
- For now, you can still get free upgrades on CO as a NW Plat, and you clear with the same priority as a CO Plat. I’m too young to use my once in a lifetime status match with CO, so this’ll be a nice way to sample CO First for very little.
So anyway, that doesn’t answer WHY I’m doing this. What the heck’s my goal? Well, basically I’d just like to see how the other half lives. I’m perfectly happy with UA despite all the cuts, but there are plenty of $220 all-in transcons on CO/NW. I’d just like the opportunity to report to my readers what the other half lives like, and for those that already fly the other half, offer a comparison.
Assuming the status match goes through as I expect it will, I’ll try to do one transcon on CO and one on NW in November, and report back with pictures on my experiences.
As of now I don’t plan on requalifying (talk about the buggy getting in front of the horse!), but rather just to build up enough miles for a nice SkyTeam award.
So am I totally out of my mind? Have I officially lost it? Thoughts, comments, flames?