I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t fancy domestic airline food, so the impact of these changes on me is minimal. Whether I get a sandwich with crap on it or a seemingly inferior coach buy-on-board meal…. well, it makes no difference to me!
That being said, UA is making cut after cut after cut after cut after cut after cut after cut domestically, and I don’t know where it’ll end. Just a few of the changes over the past couple of months:
- Massive Premium Service (PS) cutbacks in first and business. Staffing in first goes from two FA’s to one, and as a result service is now done on trays. The business appetizer has been cut and the gourmet meals they now offer are along the lines of hot dogs and cheeseburgers. No more pre-arrival snack for breakfast flights. This service would now more appropriately be called POS.
- Hawaii catering has gone downhill. No Mai Tai’s and a bunch of other cuts, since 757 galleys are now catered roundtrip from the mainland…. don’t eat the fish on 757’s ex-Hawaii!
- BusinessOne routes (prime business routes ex-ORD) no longer get hot meals, but now get cold fruit plates for breakfast and cheese plates for lunch and dinner
- Three cabin domestic flights get buy on board service in business, although that’s nothing new
- No more sundaes in transcon first
- Transcon first no longer has hot meals for lunch, because let’s face it, hot meals are just too generous for a six hour flight!
Sadly that’s only the beginning. United, our premium airline…. it’s time to fly (just bring your own food or prepare to dish out $6-9)!