United sent out their latest batch of Elite Choice emails yesterday, and I’ve gotten several emails from people asking for advice. Here are just a few general thoughts about some of the options, since there are a different set of choices.
- Avoid the contests, chances are you’re not going to win.
- If you plan on flying any substantial amount in July of 2009, consider going with the double miles option. It’s the most rewarding benefit in the batch if you take advantage of it properly.
- The carry forward of EQM’s is generally the best option, in my opinion, if nothing else strikes you as being good. You never know what next year will look like, especially with rising airfare. Even when it looks like you’ll make your desired status level, it might get you closer to another milestone with other benefits.
- The rebate on a standard award only makes sense if you’re really thinking of getting a standard award, which I’d advise against in general.
- The RCC passes can be pretty good to have, especially if you don’t want to join the RCC but might have some long layovers due to cancellations or mechanicals. In the case of irregular operations they can be quite good.
- The two 500 mile upgrades are not a bad choice either, and are the quickest, most instant gratification. 😉
Just a few thoughts. As stated above, not everyone received all of those, but those are a few common pickings.